Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Have ridden the dualled section of the A82 westbound a few times - honestly not sure why as the cycle path from Bowling is orders of magnitude more pleasant.

Doing so eastbound would require a deathwish. I didn't know which junction to turn off at during my JoGLE and I had ridden the A82 all the way from Spean Bridge, and I didn't expect it to suddenly turn into a motorway in all but name. Riding between Milton and Bowling uphill in torrential rain with cars whizzing past was absolutely terrifying.
I bet it was. I've ridden on the pavement once or twice as the path can flood at milton in winter and that just gives you a clue how bad it is.:eek:

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Is there not a cycle route from Balloch to Arrochar?
as mentioned earlier in the thread,
I saw the Kilcreggan ferry and thought, why not...
GlenFRuin.jpg

Glen Fruin looking west..
I now remember why I told myself DO this again from the Erskine Bridge end...
I remembered at the roundabout at the entrance to Coulport, doh!

Slick

Guru
At long last my mate and I have managed to nail down a date for a return to Arran.
Not until the first week in July.
Day trip from Glasgow, train + boat then anti- clockwise circuit this time.
His work and my holidays keep getting in the way.
Enjoy. The advice I got when I did it was go the way to make sure that you have the wind at your back on the Kintyre side which as I'm sure you know is clockwise. Getting the hill out the road early doors can only be a good thing though. :thumbsup:

pjd57

Veteran
Enjoy. The advice I got when I did it was go the way to make sure that you have the wind at your back on the Kintyre side which as I'm sure you know is clockwise. Getting the hill out the road early doors can only be a good thing though. :thumbsup:
We done it clockwise the last time.
We visited the VeloCafe , but it feels a bit too soon for our main stop.
Going anti it puts it roughly where we want it .
Well that's his theory.

Well that's his theory.
Putting your cyclist-specific coffee stop at the bottom of the steepest valley on the island is an ... interesting choice.

Machrie Tearooms is usually the stop of choice but it all depends upon your fitness level I guess.

pjd57

Veteran
Putting your cyclist-specific coffee stop at the bottom of the steepest valley on the island is an ... interesting choice.

Machrie Tearooms is usually the stop of choice but it all depends upon your fitness level I guess.

Our last visit was also our first time cycling on Arran.
Really just done it on a whim.

Where can we go for a day .....
Loved it.
Been waiting ages to get back but as I said things keep getting in the way.

With the summer timetable for the ferry being on , we will have plenty of time to get round

Our last visit was also our first time cycling on Arran.
Really just done it on a whim.

Where can we go for a day .....
Loved it.
Been waiting ages to get back but as I said things keep getting in the way.

With the summer timetable for the ferry being on , we will have plenty of time to get round
Sorry, I didn't mean you, I meant the owner of the coffee shop :laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
Well that's his theory.
Aye but beware, it's a bold person that risks the wrath of the spirits by going round against the sun:okay:.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Well that's his theory.
His theory is pretty sound. We stopped there last time but your spot on, it is far too soon. If it was just an ordinary cafe we wouldn't have stopped. Truth is I can't really eat anything on a day out once it starts as my body just refuses to move after that. :blush:

Slick

Guru

I just wanted to get round but the guy I was with had his head down and was putting in a bit of graft that whole side of the island so it was all I could do to keep up with him never mind look for a cafe. Don't think I even noticed one there. We stopped for a bit at Lochranza though, just long enough for my legs to seize just before the hill. :shy::rolleyes:

Slick

Guru
Unbelievably another poor cyclist down between Inchinnan and Renfrew this afternoon. He looked in some pain after being struck by a young guy on a scooter. Massive wide road that actually used to be 3 lanes wide, so I'm not exactly sure how it happened.

Top Bottom