Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
That train won't take more than 2 bikes.
Make sure you book the bikes, have a printed reservation.
You need to phone the number on the Scot Rail site to book a bike space.
I was on the phone over 2 hours on Friday being passed from scotrail and virgin for the train to Newcastle. Too long a story to go into but they don't make it easy for you. :evil:

Slick

Guru
We had no problems this week.
Just rolled up to the station, bought tickets and got on.
Staff were friendly and helpful at Queen Street, Stirling and Perth.
We went on Thursday , back on Saturday.
That's what I've always found but when you do it the way they tell you by booking it turns into a total nightmare.

the_craig

Über Member
I mind we organised a ride that got cancelled due to torrential rain.

Anyone fancy meeting up for a ride over the next few weeks? Route and things to be planned out.

pjd57

Veteran
I mind we organised a ride that got cancelled due to torrential rain.

Anyone fancy meeting up for a ride over the next few weeks? Route and things to be planned out.

I'd love to say yes but grandweans are using up a lot of my free time right now.
Maybe in a month's time.

Pedal for Scotland advice....never done it before.
Signed to start at 08:00- 08:30. Are there delays getting signed in. Can I plan to be moving by 08:30 ?

Return journey....is it ok to just turn round and cycle the same route back.
Don't fancy the coach+ van option at all.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Signed to start at 08:00- 08:30. Are there delays getting signed in. Can I plan to be moving by 08:30 ?

Hi Joe,
you turn up, nobody is signing you in.
I would be surprised if there wasn't a delay, we were about half an hour late on leaving both times I did the event.
It is forbidden by the rules to ride back the way you came: you wouldn't be able to anyway, it would be cycling against a tide of cyclists!
Once I did ride back from Murrayfield, I used the canal route.
Better, if you can find your way to Bathgate, to use that route back.
I think the PfS route has changed the last few years, so you could just use the old route to ride back, you'll find plenty of GPX files for it on the RWGPS site.

I've lost count of the number of times I've done PfS. It's pretty good although was badly oversubscribed the last time I did it - we didn't set off until after 10:20.

My mate did it last year and said it was excellent though he'd never done a sportive before so has no basis of comparison.

IME there are usually significant delays at both ends. It's better to book onto the coach and van than to wait potentially 3 hours for a train if you hadn't booked on and don't feel up to riding back on the day - speaking of which, I did the out and back one year (via the A71 IIRC) and the headwind on the return trip was relentless - there's a very good reason why it's Glasgow to Edinburgh.

pjd57

Veteran
Pedal for Scotland....

I don't fancy the hanging about waiting for a coach then trying to find my bike back in Glasgow.

The canal route back doesn't appeal at all. The Union is torture.

I do have the option of leaving my bike in Edinburgh ( sisters house )and going back for it the next day... Bus passes are great

Once I see the route I can work out the return journey.
I know the roads are reopened fairly early at the Glasgow end so getting out of Edinburgh seems the main challenge.

Suggestions for Edinburgh to Falkirk , where I am happy to go on to the Forth and Clyde canal

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
My there’a a very west coast slant to this thread these days... :whistle: must be the influence of @Pat "5mph" the Mod of Mods. Needs some east coast sophistication obviously :biggrin:

Slick

Guru
20190723_134047.jpg
I was going to post this on the strange sign thread but I feel that the cultural divide is just too great. :laugh:

Top Bottom