Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Finally ( as seen in your ride today ) I got to cycle in Perthshire.
We've been visiting Aberfeldy for years , but I hadn't managed to get out on a bike.
Worth the wait.
The back roads from Crieff to Aberfeldy are great. Decent surface, not too narrow and the hills aren't too cruel.
The wind was a problem in places, but it always is.

The route home to Glasgow tomorrow is now being looked at .We don't fancy going out of Aberfeldy the way we came in, it was downhill for several miles.
Looking at heading to Killin then Callander and home.( Although a train from Perth has also been mentioned )

Slick

Guru
We've been visiting Aberfeldy for years , but I hadn't managed to get out on a bike.
Worth the wait.
The back roads from Crieff to Aberfeldy are great. Decent surface, not too narrow and the hills aren't too cruel.

The route home to Glasgow tomorrow is now being looked at .We don't fancy going out of Aberfeldy the way we came in, it was downhill for several miles.
Looking at heading to Killin then Callander and home.( Although a train from Perth has also been mentioned )
Killin can be busy, might be worth biting the bullet on hill to Crief as you know the worst is over on the first hill. Either way, the wind here has calmed since yesterday here, hopefully it's the same in Perthshire. Enjoy

pjd57

Veteran
Killin can be busy, might be worth biting the bullet on hill to Crief as you know the worst is over on the first hill. Either way, the wind here has calmed since yesterday here, hopefully it's the same in Perthshire. Enjoy
We will enjoy it. Always do.
Staying in the Townhouse in Aberfeldy. Bit more upmarket than we normally pick.
The place is fantastic.

Worth the wait.

Lovely area for cycling. You'd be better served by the train station at Dunkeld and Birnam than Perth, though. Perth is of course still doable but you'd have to cross the A9 whereas there's a cycle route that goes under it at D&B. The climb south from Aberfeldy is pretty steep but honestly not as bad as it looks. If you've done the ride over from Crieff it's easily doable and you then get to freewheel the entire way down for a good long time.

Re: going via Killin, the road along the south shore of Loch Tay is magnificent so long as you don't get eaten by killer rabbits..
The road up Glen Ogle from Killin south is busy but NCN7 takes a different - unpaved - route. YMMV depending upon tyres and weather but it should be passable.

Does anyone know if the St. Andrews suspension bridge at the east end of Glasgow Green is open or if the festival has closed it off?

pjd57

Veteran
Good to hear of the business being revived, I stayed there when it was The Palace Hotel and clearly on the way out. Next visit I wasn't surprised to see the place closed down.

We usually stay up the hill in the Moness resort.
But we really enjoyed the change this time.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Does anyone know if the St. Andrews suspension bridge at the east end of Glasgow Green is open or if the festival has closed it off?
The blue bridge at the distillery?
It's open, I used it today.
It normally stays open during the festival.
Should it be closed, carry on straight through the cobbled path at the flats.
This takes you to the main road, cycle crossing, into the 5 aside football.
That bit is definitely always open.

The blue bridge at the distillery?
It's open, I used it today.
It normally stays open during the festival.
Should it be closed, carry on straight through the cobbled path at the flats.
This takes you to the main road, cycle crossing, into the 5 aside football.
That bit is definitely always open.
Thanks Pat :hugs:

pjd57

Veteran
Looking back at our shortened Perthshire trip, we think we have the makings of a good day out on routes we now know.

Buy a cheap Glasgow to Perth return.
Get off at Stirling. Cycle to Aberfeldy via Crieff.....49 miles.
Food stop,with the hard bit done.
Aberfeldy to Perth mainly on NCR7 , just over 30 miles, without many big hills.
Train back to Glasgow.

It's on the list.

pjd57

Veteran
That train won't take more than 2 bikes.
Make sure you book the bikes, have a printed reservation.
You need to phone the number on the Scot Rail site to book a bike space.
We had no problems this week.
Just rolled up to the station, bought tickets and got on.
Staff were friendly and helpful at Queen Street, Stirling and Perth.
We went on Thursday , back on Saturday.

Top Bottom