Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I liked your post, then I remembered when I took a couple of us more mature ladies :whistle: to Neilston.
The ladies really wanted to go on a certain day, I did not have time for a reccie.
The best route I could find - it looked not too bad walking it on Google maps - was Pollock park, up Kennishead road, turn right then left at the new Persimmon homes, then on a main road a short bit (Barrhead road, I think), through a park with a church.
Cross at pedestrian crossing avoiding the scary roundabout into another park with a stream running through it, then up to Neilston following the cycle route.
Bloody hell!
They tried to run us over on Kennishead road.
The mile or so we did on Barrhead road was scary, I could see it becoming scarier after the roundabout that we avoided by going through the park.
On the way back we used the pavement to the Persimmon homes.
Then we turned left into another very busy street leading to Paisley.
That area (around the new Persimmon homes) whatever it's called, is not safe for cycling if you're not fast and nimble.
Shame, because it borders the Dams of Darnley country park.
It's a nice cycle up there, but to get to the path you take your life in your hands.
There's two Kennishead Roads as far as I'm concerned: from Boydstone Road to Darnley Mains is the only place where I've seen a ned try to steal a car *that was moving*. I was on the bike that day and decided to beat a hasty retreat. Can get up some pretty good speed on the downhill which has come in handy more than once. :whistle:

The second Kennishead Road - the country road from Pollokshaws to Boydstone Road - is absolutely deadly. I do not think I will ride that ever again, which is a shame because it would be a fantastic road for cycling were it not the people using it as a rat run who have no experience of driving in countryside and think it's fine to overtake on what is simultaneously a blind corner and a blind summit.

Last edited:
I liked your post, then I remembered when I took a couple of us more mature ladies :whistle: to Neilston.
The ladies really wanted to go on a certain day, I did not have time for a reccie.
The best route I could find - it looked not too bad walking it on Google maps - was Pollock park, up Kennishead road, turn right then left at the new Persimmon homes, then on a main road a short bit (Barrhead road, I think), through a park with a church.
Cross at pedestrian crossing avoiding the scary roundabout into another park with a stream running through it, then up to Neilston following the cycle route.
Bloody hell!
They tried to run us over on Kennishead road.
The mile or so we did on Barrhead road was scary, I could see it becoming scarier after the roundabout that we avoided by going through the park.
On the way back we used the pavement to the Persimmon homes.
Then we turned left into another very busy street leading to Paisley.
That area (around the new Persimmon homes) whatever it's called, is not safe for cycling if you're not fast and nimble.
Shame, because it borders the Dams of Darnley country park.
It's a nice cycle up there, but to get to the path you take your life in your hands.
Also, you need to be clearer about which particular Persimmon Homes scheme you went past, they're sprouting up everywhere. When I were young it was nowt but fields and "keep out, disused mineshafts" signs :cry: *grump*

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Kennishead road , should be a good route from Pollock park avoiding main roads and getting you to Darnley and out of the city.
But sadly it's another race track.

Where I live , Summerston, Blackhill road is the same.
Tight country road , no pavement, hedges and fields both sides.
It's still in Glasgow, less than 6 miles to the city centre and should be an ideal way out towards Torrance , Lennoxtown etc.

Instead it's a virtual no go for cycling.

CharlesF

Guru
217A9C97-CCC1-4844-B7ED-D243B91200F1.jpeg
I wish First bus would replace all the bland grey buses with this iconic colour scheme:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hmmmm, not unique, then!
Rumour has it we "borrowed/aqquired" half a dozen and had them driven down by drivers on special duty. Under cover of darkness.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's that time of year again.
The fences are going up all round Glasgow Green.
TRNSMT music festival is becoming a bit of a nuisance.
Yes.
Last year I had to ride home after an evening shift, both the Hydro and TRNSMT were coming out :eek:
This year I'll make sure I'm day shift this weekend!

Top Bottom