Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Scotrail has been getting a lot of flak in the past year, it is good to hear of improvement in the past month, we hope it can be maintained.
I wait in vain for dualling the single track north from Perth as no great improvement in journey time can occur before then:smile:.
Northern are sending some of the units they're withdrawing down here, up there.

Slick

Guru
Barrhead to Glasgow, no excuses.
Use your bike.
It's a bit ropey on a Saturday night.

Saying that, the train ain't much better. ^_^

snorri

Legendary Member
Hilarious, thank you.
It looked as if the camera person was already imprisoned behind bars:biggrin:.
I liked Lara's defence of Glasgow folk in the following Tweets:biggrin:.

1. Replying to @wyatt7777777

People make Glasgow.
    1f602.png
    1f602.png
    1f602.png

2. FCyH6gFZ_bigger.jpg Lara‏ @Lara_Scotland Jun 3
    That's Renfrew
    1f609.png

3. 85yCSA8p_bigger.jpg Michael McMillan‏ @mikemcm2 Jun 4
    Close enough!!

The road from the Hurlet to Barrhead isn't exactly smooth.
Rode it a few times recently.
My mate uses it for his daily commute. Glasgow west end to Barrhead.
Brave boy riding that during rush hour. Very much in my neck of the woods - the volume of traffic at rush hour is hideous.

Every time I ride Barrhead-Hurlet or Hurlet-Paisley it conjures mental images of the Arenberg forest, but then I remember that the pros don't have cars whizzing past with 30 mph speed differential. Maybe once they finish the bypass from Barrhead to the M77 that'll make it better.*

* It won't

Slick

Guru
The road from the Hurlet to Barrhead isn't exactly smooth.
Rode it a few times recently.
My mate uses it for his daily commute. Glasgow west end to Barrhead.
I'm actually a bit further out than Barrhead, I'm in between Neilston and Dunlop but I do commute through Barrhead past Dykebar and out on the dual just before the Hurlet. I'm then down Hawkhead road past the most dangerous junction in Britain for cyclists (apparently) which takes me into Renfrew and on to Inchinnan. None of it is exactly smooth and my policeman brother tells me there was a cyclist down in Bannockburn after hitting a pothole and sustained a serious head injury 9n Friday. Stay safe.

Slick

Guru
Anyone on here been stress relieving a wheel build recently? :laugh:

WARNING video includes scenes of violence. For the sharp eyed with good hearing it also contains nudity and swearing.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1135642783400824833

I recognise the place but not the people. :laugh::laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Barrhead to Glasgow, no excuses.
Use your bike.
I liked your post, then I remembered when I took a couple of us more mature ladies :whistle: to Neilston.
The ladies really wanted to go on a certain day, I did not have time for a reccie.
The best route I could find - it looked not too bad walking it on Google maps - was Pollock park, up Kennishead road, turn right then left at the new Persimmon homes, then on a main road a short bit (Barrhead road, I think), through a park with a church.
Cross at pedestrian crossing avoiding the scary roundabout into another park with a stream running through it, then up to Neilston following the cycle route.
Bloody hell!
They tried to run us over on Kennishead road.
The mile or so we did on Barrhead road was scary, I could see it becoming scarier after the roundabout that we avoided by going through the park.
On the way back we used the pavement to the Persimmon homes.
Then we turned left into another very busy street leading to Paisley.
That area (around the new Persimmon homes) whatever it's called, is not safe for cycling if you're not fast and nimble.
Shame, because it borders the Dams of Darnley country park.
It's a nice cycle up there, but to get to the path you take your life in your hands.

Slick

Guru
I liked your post, then I remembered when I took a couple of us more mature ladies :whistle: to Neilston.
The ladies really wanted to go on a certain day, I did not have time for a reccie.
The best route I could find - it looked not too bad walking it on Google maps - was Pollock park, up Kennishead road, turn right then left at the new Persimmon homes, then on a main road a short bit (Barrhead road, I think), through a park with a church.
Cross at pedestrian crossing avoiding the scary roundabout into another park with a stream running through it, then up to Neilston following the cycle route.
Bloody hell!
They tried to run us over on Kennishead road.
The mile or so we did on Barrhead road was scary, I could see it becoming scarier after the roundabout that we avoided by going through the park.
On the way back we used the pavement to the Persimmon homes.
Then we turned left into another very busy street leading to Paisley.
That area (around the new Persimmon homes) whatever it's called, is not safe for cycling if you're not fast and nimble.
Shame, because it borders the Dams of Darnley country park.
It's a nice cycle up there, but to get to the path you take your life in your hands.
Interesting to hear that you feel like that Pat. I've felt the same loads of times on those roads but always questioned myself in case I was being dramatic.

Pat "5mph"

Interesting to hear that you feel like that Pat. I've felt the same loads of times on those roads but always questioned myself in case I was being dramatic.
Dramatic?
Not at all, it's your self preservation instincts, they are trying to tell you something!
We rode on a Monday, at around 11am, when most people should be at work.
If you ride those roads at rush hour, you're a very brave man.

Slick

Guru
Dramatic?
Not at all, it's your self preservation instincts, they are trying to tell you something!
We rode on a Monday, at around 11am, when most people should be at work.
If you ride those roads at rush hour, you're a very brave man.
I think that you may be right about instinct, I was also considering contacting either the police or local authority to recommend a speed trap early one morning in that area. It would be like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Pat "5mph"

Some cycling infras would be nice in the area, to connect the dams to Pollock park and Paisley canal.
Even the cycle route to Neilston from Barrhead is just the pavement.

Slick

Guru
Some cycling infras would be nice in the area, to connect the dams to Pollock park and Paisley canal.
Even the cycle route to Neilston from Barrhead is just the pavement.
Tried to climb up to Neilston a couple of times on the pavement past the cycling friendly sign :eek: due to being a bit slow but between the glass and disintegrating tar I just either take the road or stay on the low Irvine road. There's a number of cyclists up there so it would be nice to get some infrastructure especially.

Top Bottom