Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I often ride the bit from Berwick Law to East Linton, both the John Muir Way Path and the Cycle Braid section are good.
Picture below of a bridge just leaving East Linton, heading towards Knowes Farm.
Thanks for the info, seems no reason not to do it on a road bike then? Although to be fair, with the new wheels and tyres I intend to put on, it's definitely more gravel than road.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info, seems no reason not to do it on a road bike then? Although to be fair, with the new wheels and tyres I intend to put on, it's definitely more gravel than road.

I haven't ever ridden the John Muir Path section on my road bike, I take my hardtail if I want to ride that bit, although I'm sure it would be okay on a road bike, nothing really rough, I've met a couple of people on Cross bikes.

bruce1530

Guru
The first will be Tyndrum to Fort William through Glencoe through the night probably this Friday or Saturday, hopefully a bit of breakfast before getting the train back. Not particularly long, but day break on Glencoe has always been pretty spectacular.
That sounds like a good trip... do u need to book the bike onto the train?

Slick

Guru
That sounds like a good trip... do u need to book the bike onto the train?
I've left that for the guy I'm going with to sort as I know that scotrail are a nightmare to deal with but from memory you couldn't book that line, it was first come first served. We have done bits of this before but never went as far as Fort William, parking at the top of the hill and cruising down the Glen just enjoying it before turning in the village and coming back up which is just as much fun. I'll let you know about the train though when I know for sure. :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I know that scotrail are a nightmare to deal with but from memory you couldn't book that line
From memory, do Cross Country or East Coast trains (or both) not run from Dunbar to Edinburgh and then onwards to Glasgow? I'm sure you can reserve bike spaces on their respective websites.

bruce1530

Guru
Question re cycle routes into Glasgow.

Normally I commute into city centre by train. At the moment, working at home most days, with occasional trips to work by car. That’s OK for the moment, but parking will become difficult once city centre becomes busier. And more expensive - city centre parking charges have been cancelled since start of lockdown, but resume later this week.

Don’t fancy going back to the train at the moment.

Bike commute not an option - it’d be 100km+ a day!

One option may be to drive to somewhere like Johnstone or Paisley, then bike to city centre from there? But what route? I don’t know those roads well.
I’ve done the NCN7 path several times, which is fine as far as Paisley, but then meanders a bit thru glasgow - via Bellahouston and Pollok parks.

Strava and google maps suggest the cycle path as far as Ross Hall, then Paisley Road West into city centre - which sounds a bit busy.

What route would you suggest, avoiding the bulk of the traffic?

snorri

Legendary Member
The first will be Tyndrum to Fort William through Glencoe through the night probably this Friday or Saturday, hopefully a bit of breakfast before getting the train back.
I would be surprised if Scotrail will accept bookings at this time. Here is an extract from an email I received from Scotrail today......

Even though parts of Scotland are starting to open up again, we’re still asking that people only travel if they have to. This is to help those customers that do need to travel for work to physically-distance while they are on board.

Slick

Guru
Question re cycle routes into Glasgow.

Normally I commute into city centre by train. At the moment, working at home most days, with occasional trips to work by car. That’s OK for the moment, but parking will become difficult once city centre becomes busier. And more expensive - city centre parking charges have been cancelled since start of lockdown, but resume later this week.

Don’t fancy going back to the train at the moment.

Bike commute not an option - it’d be 100km+ a day!

One option may be to drive to somewhere like Johnstone or Paisley, then bike to city centre from there? But what route? I don’t know those roads well.
I’ve done the NCN7 path several times, which is fine as far as Paisley, but then meanders a bit thru glasgow - via Bellahouston and Pollok parks.

Strava and google maps suggest the cycle path as far as Ross Hall, then Paisley Road West into city centre - which sounds a bit busy.

What route would you suggest, avoiding the bulk of the traffic?
Paisley Road isn't as busy as you might think, I use it often before cutting down to the clyde if heading for the centre and there's a new pop up cycle lane if your heading a bit further. The cycle path goes past Ross Hall but I've never actually took the bike that way so not sure exactly how far it goes. If coming up the 77 you could come off at Darnley as it's only about 10 miles to the town from there but I'm not sure about traffic on that side.

Slick

Guru
I would be surprised if Scotrail will accept bookings at this time. Here is an extract from an email I received from Scotrail today......

Even though parts of Scotland are starting to open up again, we’re still asking that people only travel if they have to. This is to help those customers that do need to travel for work to physically-distance while they are on board.
I wasn't really expecting to get a booking to be honest, and I expect the train would be pretty quiet in a Saturday morning but I'll let you know how we get on.

Slick

Guru

Apparently the advice only changed today after the government announcement but we can travel on the train, just can't book. The plan is to head for the station as soon as we arrive to get tickets then go get some breakfast. Hopefully the peloton won't be there before us, ^_^

Twilkes

Guru
Hello, I know I abuse the knowledge on this thread but does anyone know any good quiet roads to get from Kilsyth to New Lanark? I don't mind traffic but a lot of the area south of Kilsyth seems very built up and I want to stay away from suburban traffic-light filled roads.

I think part of Pedal For Scotland's 100 mile route went through some of this area so I could re-use bits of that but would be good to see some roads I've never been on before.

edit: this is what I have so far, although much of it Strava just autopopulated - any great roads I'm missing? https://www.strava.com/routes/29078263

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Hello, I know I abuse the knowledge on this thread but does anyone know any good quiet roads to get from Kilsyth to New Lanark? I don't mind traffic but a lot of the area south of Kilsyth seems very built up and I want to stay away from suburban traffic-light filled roads.

I think part of Pedal For Scotland's 100 mile route went through some of this area so I could re-use bits of that but would be good to see some roads I've never been on before.

edit: this is what I have so far, although much of it Strava just autopopulated - any great roads I'm missing? https://www.strava.com/routes/29078263
Not really my area I'm afraid but usually someone comes along with a wee golden nugget but it's been quiet on here for a while, not sure why.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow

I'm not a full local here yet:laugh:
but I recently rode part of that route, the part from Blackridge..(towards Cumbernauld and home)
Kilsyth, the F&C canal then up Wyndford Rd (brings you out at the Wardpark Studios then head to the Forest Rd , two alternatives, up towards Palacerigg (a testy wee climb) or my preferred up past Arns, a bit of a diversion though..junction at B803 then turn right and head towards Longriggend and find your way to the NCN route towards Blackridge via Hillend Reservoir(cracking path)..
I joined it from Falkirk/Armadale so no knowledge of anything south...

Kilsyth to F&C then
E end Banknock Straight to Palacerigg, Wyndford Road is blocked to car traffic but okay for a bike..
Banknock to Palacerigg.jpg

Roads up from F&C to Palacerigg are as you'd expect a tad hilly
palacerigg to blasckridge.jpg

Top Bottom