Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Question re cycle routes into Glasgow.

Normally I commute into city centre by train. At the moment, working at home most days, with occasional trips to work by car. That’s OK for the moment, but parking will become difficult once city centre becomes busier. And more expensive - city centre parking charges have been cancelled since start of lockdown, but resume later this week.

Don’t fancy going back to the train at the moment.

Bike commute not an option - it’d be 100km+ a day!

One option may be to drive to somewhere like Johnstone or Paisley, then bike to city centre from there? But what route? I don’t know those roads well.
I’ve done the NCN7 path several times, which is fine as far as Paisley, but then meanders a bit thru glasgow - via Bellahouston and Pollok parks.

Strava and google maps suggest the cycle path as far as Ross Hall, then Paisley Road West into city centre - which sounds a bit busy.

What route would you suggest, avoiding the bulk of the traffic?
Paisley road west to Ibrox , then turn off down towards the Clyde and cross the river at the BBC.
PRW isn't too bad , bus lanes on most of it , and it's flat

bruce1530

Guru
Just saw the latest posts on here re the Garshangan track linking the high Greenock Road between Greenock/Kilmacolm, and Loch Thom.
@bruce1530 @Edwardoka @Bobby Mhor @Twilkes

I use the track on a fairly regular basis, but the last time I did it, about 6 weeks ago, it was in the worst state ever. Muddy quagmire in places, and crater potholes in others. Some of it has been used by logging lorries as they are chopping down some of the forests, and this has turned it into a real mess. Recent rain hasn't helped of course. Maybe it will be rideable if we get an extended period of dry weather :laugh::laugh::laugh:, but I was glad I was on the MTB... and previously I wasn't too precious about taking a road bike over it.

I did it yesterday.
Didn’t really have any problems (it was dry!)

Track is rough in most places, and it looks like various holes have been filled with builder’s rubble. I did it on 28mm tyres, and didn’t have to get off and push at any stage. Don’t think I’d like to do it on anything thinner.

bruce1530

Guru
If anyone's planning to cycle the Union Canal near polmont, maybe need to rethink... the video on the page below shows just how bad it is...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-53768273

_113924874_canal1.jpg

Garry A

Calibrating.....
The road just west of Culross is a mess, looks like a mudslide. I'd avoid it for a few days.

pjd57

Veteran
Cyclef from Glasgow to the airport then on to Paisley earlier this week.

Any idea what's happening with the route from the airport to Paisley ?
The signs are still in place but all the road marking has been removed

Slick

Guru
Cyclef from Glasgow to the airport then on to Paisley earlier this week.

Any idea what's happening with the route from the airport to Paisley ?
The signs are still in place but all the road marking has been removed
I ride that rout fairly regularly but hadn't really noticed anything.

Top Bottom