Ironic close pass!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
This is a slight shameless plug of my recently launched YouTube Channel but not really the point of the post.

The point is in my latest video I caught what I feel was a close pass with a 4x4 towing a horse box you can see it from the short intro.

View: https://youtu.be/LNQkwq5do-I

Just made me laugh as there is such a big fuss made about giving horse riders space when out on the road yet it's another thing altogether when the shoe is on the other foot with cyclists.

Now I am not saying all horse riders/owners are like this but hell I as a cyclist make damn certain I pass safely with plenty of space between me and the cyclist when driving. This is not the first time I have had this happen to me, but the first time I caught it on camera.

What are others thoughts was it a dangerous close pass or am I being a bit ott?

Please don't feel you have to watch the full video it's slightly boring and all about me:whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
It looked a bit tight against the oncoming traffic.

dfthe1

It doesn't look too bad to me. Always hard to tell from a video though.

I can't work out the road layout. Why is traffic travelling on the right of the road? I though you might have flipped the video but the reg plate is not mirrored?!

D

Deleted member 26715

It doesn't look too bad to me. Always hard to tell from a video though.

I can't work out the road layout. Why is traffic travelling on the right of the road? I though you might have flipped the video but the reg plate is not mirrored?!
Derestriction signs are inverse

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Doesn't look that close TBH - the car and trailer look to be well out into the other lane - but the timing, against the oncoming vehicle, leaves a lot to be desired; quite obviously didn't want to slow down and overtake you after the opposing car had passed.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Quite common around here, a driver leaves you plenty of room but neglects to notice the oncoming vehicle and misses it by a few centimetres. Those towing trailers seem especially bad at it (or pull back in too soon and almost whack you with the trailer).

Good luck with the Youtube channel. 19 minutes is quite a long video.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
[QUOTE 4729784, member: 76"]Have a look at 4.40, you clearly should have waited until the oncoming traffic had gone, you could have caused an accident with that Land Rover by making him swerve. You are lucky he didn't have a dashcam.[/QUOTE]
I suspect that looks worse than it is too as a result of the frame clipping to compress the video. Well done on getting that far though ... :giggle:

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
[QUOTE 4729784, member: 76"]Have a look at 4.40, you clearly should have waited until the oncoming traffic had gone, you could have caused an accident with that Land Rover by making him swerve. You are lucky he didn't have a dashcam.

But as ever, your careless riding isn't the point of these videos is it?[/QUOTE]
He actually waved me through in the first intance and to be honest he was going so slow there was no real danger to eaither of us.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Well, I have watched the whole thing but I have to admit that I skipped most of the cycling bits.

I'd like to offer some constructive criticism on your new YouTube channel.

I doubt very much that your perceived improved average speed is anything to do with your modifications to the bike. Carbon forks, new brake cables, and calipers aren't going to make you any faster; nothing you'd notice, anyway. What makes you faster is miles in the saddle, and some structured training with a healthy diet. I see you also refer to your cantilever brakes as being "twin pot". Well, there are no pots on rim brakes like yours, I expect you mean pads, which there would definitely be two of, otherwise they wouldn't work. "Pots" are found on disc brakes only, cable or hydraucally actuated.

Also, I watched your Don't get stitched up buying second hand!!! video, and rather than spend 26 minutes talking about your own experience, it would be better if you popped your bike on a stand and showed your viewers how to check things like bearing wear on bottom bracket, wheels, etc. You could also mention to check the condition of the rims, and show how the gears and brakes should operate. Its also worth noting that your reference to "sharks teeth" when asessing casette / chainring wear, should be "shark fin", sharks' teeth don't curve on one side, their fins do.

So, all in all, I think you will be more successful with your vlog if you shorten your videos, provide accurate information and pitch it at the beginner by getting your hands dirty and showing them round your bike on the workstand.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
[QUOTE 4729799, member: 76"]I am suffering from insomnia........it has definitely helped :tired:[/QUOTE]
Glad I can be of assistance:laugh:

These vlogs tend to be longer than normal due to the nature of Vlogs but I am working on much shorted versions.

Top Bottom