Britrail Pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
The exclusions unhelpfully say nor any other services not mentioned which implies it's not valid anywhere! Suggest you ask via customerservices@tfl.gov.uk.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Many thanks for the assistance.

As @Dogtrousers says, Britrail Passes are not valid on the underground, which seems to defeat the object: why offer a railpass for the country if it doesn't include the main transport network of the capital city?

As we'd need the Underground to get from Paddington to Kings Cross. It was all getting too complicated and Younger Son found a flight that took us to Manchester.

We can catch a direct train from Manchester to York, and the train from Manchester-York is probably a better first impression of the country for Tinybug than the bowels of London. A Britrail pass is probably the cheapest and certainly the easiest way to do this.

I have to be able to prove non-residence though, which is an interesting idea.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru

I saw that too, but my impression is that it's as much of a risk travelling into London and out again with strikes, delays, and goodness knows what else. At least this way we have a pass valid all day so we can catch the next train, and ultimately in the absolute worst case scenario my dad can drive from York to Manchester and pick us up.

Don't worry about the culture shock. Mullets are back in fashion here so it will feel just like Germany, although little else will be as equally in ordnung.

Mullets? Good grief, and I thought Germany was having a weird phase...

It's a little scary just how much has changed. To give you some idea, a Nokia mobile phone was still a status symbol when I left.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I have to be able to prove non-residence though, which is an interesting idea.

Why do you need to prove non residence? are you travelling on a British Passport?

I've travelled through Dover/Calais quite recently and I only have a British Passport, so I needed to travel on that, but also show my German personalausweis in order to prove my residency in Germany and that way my passport wasn't stamped with a 90 day visa. My wife and children travelled on their German passports and had no problems passing through, no stamps in their passports either.

Why do you need to prove non residence? are you travelling on a British Passport?

I've travelled through Dover/Calais quite recently and I only have a British Passport, so I needed to travel on that, but also show my German personalausweis in order to prove my residency in Germany and that way my passport wasn't stamped with a 90 day visa. My wife and children travelled on their German passports and had no problems passing through, no stamps in their passports either.

I'm guessing my German ID will suffice, along with my German driving licence, health insurance, bank card...

chriswoody

Legendary Member
You do have a British passport though? You can no longer travel through the British border without a valid passport, be it German or British, identity cards are no longer valid for crossing. There was also a story in the paper the other day about Passports also needing to be valid for a certain period after the trip had ended, I'd need to look into that myself. Unfortunately it's all got a lot more bothersome and complicated.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As @Dogtrousers says, Britrail Passes are not valid on the underground, which seems to defeat the object: why offer a railpass for the country if it doesn't include the main transport network of the capital city?
As a Londoner I found that quite normal. Trains and tubes (and buses) are entirely different animals. Bu I can see how someone not living in that environment might find it surprising. But what might catch you out is the Overground - this looks like an ordinay train, is an ordinary train, but is run by Transport for London so probably wouldn't be included. Whereas an ordinary commuter train (in some cases running on the same line!) would be included. It won't be valid on the Manchester, Nottingham or Croydon trams either (to name three tram networks that come to mind)

Anyway, if you have a contactless credit or debit card, you can use these on the tube barriers so it's quite easy (if not free!)

Confusion works the other way: I went to Berlin by train recently. We spent ages wandering round the Hauptbahnhof in Berlin trying to find a machine to buy a ticket for the S-Bahn to our destination (there are very few in the main station itself, as they are actually on the S-Bahn platforms). Faffed around, got the tickets, got to the hotel and read the small print that said that S and U Bahn were included in our main train ticket. Doh!

Mike_P

Guru
Back to original query Britrail appears to be valid on the Elizabeth line https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transparency/freedom-of-information/foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-1415-2223#:~:text=EU rail pass and Brit,date validation box to confirm

MTREL Staff Training specifies:

EU rail pass and Brit rail passes are valid on our services, however before they can be used, they must visit a ticket office where the first and last days of validity must be completed in full, the passport number must be recorded on the pass, and a station stamp must be stamped in the date validation box to confirm the dates the pass can be used, which is all completed by the ticket office colleague. If a signature is required, this must be completed by the customer. We do ask them to use discretion where customers are coming straight from the airport for example Heathrow to Hayes and Harlington.

Top Bottom