Ironman novice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
I have been roped into doing an iron man event, running and swimming ok but I’m not really a cyclist and don’t own a road bike, obviously don’t want to over spend but want something half decent and value for money! Any ideas welcome! Thanks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What's your budget?

A suggestion would be an introductory road bike, you don't need a TT bike for an iron man.

For the distance you're doing ensuring the bike fits you is more important than anything else.

OP
OP
N

Northernlegs

Regular
What's your budget?

A suggestion would be an introductory road bike, you don't need a TT bike for an iron man.

For the distance you're doing ensuring the bike fits you is more important than anything else.
Thanks, around 400-700 budget

Sharky

Guru
Are you talking about a full iron man, including a 112 mile bike section?

Considering you dont have a bike, you have my admiration. Good luck.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Personally I'd suggest any bike that fits you is fine. There'll be people making suggestions.

What'll help is practice. Jumping straight into Ironman's brave. Brick training, learning the systems, working out how you transition between the events and how your legs feel is probably more important.

Signing up for a sprint tri as minimum prep would be my advice.

Drago

Legendary Member
They call 112 miles Iron Man these days?

I did Skipton tri where one participant rode on an MTB. So you never know.
Is that notable? I used to do sprint triathlons back in the nineties on a cheap-ass mountain bike. I was back of the pack anyway, so a better bike would have made no discernable difference. And every now and then I'd pass someone with zipp wheels, and they'd be thoroughly pwned (or would have been, if that word existed then)

Top Bottom