Ironman novice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Is that notable? I used to do sprint triathlons back in the nineties on a cheap-ass mountain bike. I was back of the pack anyway, so a better bike would have made no discernable difference. And every now and then I'd pass someone with zipp wheels, and they'd be thoroughly pwned (or would have been, if that word existed then)

These days it's rarer, particularly so in this case as she'd aced the pool swim and suddenly I'd passed her riding in her swimsuit on an MTB. She then passed me, still in her swimsuit, on the run leg.

It doesn't matter what you ride if you are competing against yourself (and not others) simply for a personal challenge. A MTB, Boris Bike or a Tri-Ready Road Bike will all be perfectly fine insofar that your time only matters to you. A great used >£700 MTB might give you a faster time than a budget <£200 Road Bike... if you are competing to win however, you might want every advantage that money can buy. You can get a decent mid range road bike new in that price bracket, or even more for your money if you are prepared to take a chance on a used bike, but you better put in some work so you how to appraise the mechanical condition of the bike, or at least reserve some money for a service and repairs. If you are competing in the event simply to push yourself, a fancy bike might not be worth spending the extra on. If you only care about fitting in, any road bike would do really.

Yes ok, you got me, boris bike wasn't really a serious suggestion, so long as the bike fits, and your saddle is right, then it doesn't really matter what you ride.

If it is a half ironman, that makes me wonder: What is half of iron? Well Iron has atomic number 26, and aluminium has atomic number 13.

So I reckon that a half ironman should be called an aluminiumman (or an aluminumman in the US).
surely half of iron is ir, so it should be called an irman

Alan O

Über Member
If it is a half ironman, that makes me wonder: What is half of iron? Well Iron has atomic number 26, and aluminium has atomic number 13.

So I reckon that a half ironman should be called an aluminiumman (or an aluminumman in the US).
Wow, my road bike has twice as many protons as my mountain bike!

si_c

Guru
The most important thing is to get a bike that fits you well. You'll likely not just be riding a bike for just the race itself, but I would imagine you want to do some training of some kind beforehand.

My suggestion would be something with a decent set of gears and a solid aluminium frame. At a minimum you are looking at something like the B'Twin Triban series of road bikes from decathlon, or some of the Pinnacle bikes from Evans Cycles. This I think hits your budget sweet spot pretty well, leaving you with a bit over for accessories (helmet if the event requires it for example), water bottles, tools and spares (pump, inner tubes, puncture repair kits).

That bike is pretty well specified too, and should give you a good guide to go by when looking at other bikes. Generally you want something with SRAM or Shimano 9 speed or higher.

Sharky

Guru
Need to be a "wit" to do a full ironman. Not sure what you need to be to do a half ironman.

Top Bottom