Irritating clicking on new Planet X Pro Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Greetings all,

I bought a new Planet X Pro Carbon with Ultegra groupset last October - up until now I've probably done about 500 miles on it. An irritating problem has come up - whenever I'm putting load on the pedals, I get an annoying clicking noise from the crank (I think anyway, from what I've read online these things are deceptive and it could be coming from anywhere). Things I've tried:

• Loosening crank bolts and tightening again. I thought this had fixed it but it quickly came back albeit sounding slightly different/higher in pitch.
  • Checking QR skewers on wheels.
  • Removing greasing, and reinstalling pedals.
Ideally I'd take it into one of Planet X's shops, but I'm in Bedfordshire and their shops are several hours worth of train journey away. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

jack smith

Veteran
have you checked the saddle? i had the exact same issue i thought it was the crank but it was when i was pedalling it was putting different pressure on the saddle rails, ive also had it with the pedals

U

User6179

BB bearings perhaps , on my old trek with internal cartridge BB it was the connection between crank and BB which I greased to solve the problem.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
have you checked the saddle? i had the exact same issue i thought it was the crank but it was when i was pedalling it was putting different pressure on the saddle rails, ive also had it with the pedals
I did exactly the same thing on my pro carbon. The saddle was overtightened. But it wasn't a regular click, it was related to bumps in the road. One thing I did discover was that, unlike my alu and my steel bikes, those annoying clicks tend to amplify themselves around the headset rather than the BB. Still, that's 2 of us who've traced it to the saddle....

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Well, it does it when I'm standing up too if that's any help. So I'd be best off buying a tool to remove the crank and get greasing?

U

User6179

Well, it does it when I'm standing up too if that's any help. So I'd be best off buying a tool to remove the crank and get greasing?
What type of bb do you have? , bb30 is famous for clicking .

U

User6179

Parts list says Shiamno Ultegra 6700Bottom Bracket.

Have that on my Trek now and fairly reliable for a good few thousand miles , would try Fossyant,s advice and grease the threads first.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
So would it be safe to assume it's the something around the BB then? Would I just need to remove the crankset, or the BB too? Plus I ought to buy a torque wrench *sigh*

jack smith

Veteran
id say its best to get it on a stand and go over it carefully checking each component for noise before shelling out on tools you may not need, that or ask a lbs for their thoughts of what it is, chances are if they are nice people it will be a free opinion

U

User6179

So would it be safe to assume it's the something around the BB then? Would I just need to remove the crankset, or the BB too? Plus I ought to buy a torque wrench *sigh*

Both and grease between all metal to metal contact and if it still clicks it is the bearings inside the bb possibly .

Top Bottom