Irritating clicking on new Planet X Pro Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Another clicking sound I had was one of my shoes had developed a crack in the sole .

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
He's already done that. See post #1
Good point. Bad reading on my part.

The drive side Ultegra is one piece, but I don't know how the left-hand pedal attaches. I did have a l-h pedal Shimano crank with a pretensioner bolt and a couple of smaller bolts to hold the crank in place and the pretensioner part needed retightening. Then again, I'd already narrowed the click down to one side before sorting it. It might be worth taking the L-H crank off and doing the clean and grease routine anyway.

U

User6179

Good point. Bad reading on my part.

The drive side Ultegra is one piece, but I don't know how the left-hand pedal attaches. I did have a l-h pedal Shimano crank with a pretensioner bolt and a couple of smaller bolts to hold the crank in place and the pretensioner part needed retightening. Then again, I'd already narrowed the click down to one side before sorting it. It might be worth taking the L-H crank off and doing the clean and grease routine anyway.

I believe if you over tighten the pretensioner it can cause premature bearing failure , my first ht2 crank had 8000 miles on it with no clicking but when I got my bike back from retailer after a frame warranty the new press fit bearing has made a clicking noise from day one nearly .

U

User6179

" Park Tool Crank Arm Tool Bottom Bracket And Crank Arm Tool (Hollowtech Ii) " and a torque wrench ordered...seems like all I need I think. Wish me luck!

Remove the pre tensioner tool from the bearing tool as all you want is finger tight when pre tensioning :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Oh, and I trust Finish Line ceramic grease will be sufficient? (this stuff)

fline_ceramic_grease_2oz_09_m.jpg

It says "BB's" so I should imagine so :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What happens, is a new bike is usually assembled with minimum grease. As you get different materials and the same materials bolted together, you do get some micro movement. This can cause some slight 'polishing' or indeed corrosion of the surface. Grease stops this.. And despite all the alarm, it won't melt Carbon parts.

U

User6179

What happens, is a new bike is usually assembled with minimum grease. As you get different materials and the same materials bolted together, you do get some micro movement. This can cause some slight 'polishing' or indeed corrosion of the surface. Grease stops this.. And despite all the alarm, it won't melt Carbon parts.

Plus people wash there bikes with fairy liquid removing the grease:smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plus people wash there bikes with fairy liquid removing the grease:smile:

That's not really an issue as I wash my bikes lots more than most. Washing up liquid just strips the frame of wax build up,so crap sticks. Mr Sheen is great for cleaning bikes. Original is the one. Builds up a coating of silicone, so washing is easy.

There is a reason behind my madness you know...

Also, fast bikes are clean.

Top Bottom