Is 100 miles a week a lot?

Is 100 miles a week cycling a lot in your opinion?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
As the weather has been dry(but very cold) for a few weeks now, I have cycled to work every day, and weekend rides aswell, so last week I did 103 miles, this week its going to be around 120 miles.
So an answer to your question.
100 miles would be alot for a new cyclist, but for someone who is use to cycling and is quite fit, then I would say 100 miles plus a week is fine.

tadpole

I cycle 100+miles per week, mostly to work and back and a bit of faffing about on the weekends to the allotment. (my body fat is well above zero, add a couple or three tens to that )

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
If you are happy with your mileage crack on!

Personally, I don't tend to take note of mileage so much these days and prefer to think in terms of time on the bike (I had to go look up my data to see what 100 miles equates to in time for me). How long do you spend riding your bike? Does it impact on other things in your life? Do you enjoy it? All more important questions IMO.

How long do you spend riding your bike? - I'm not that fast but don't push 100%. I hold the same average over 100km as I do for 10km... on the road bike it is about 12-13mph in the winter months, so I guess about 7-8hrs a week average. I cycle in all weathers. Time wise mycyclinglog tells me I have done 104hrs so far this year in all weather, but that is around 2200km and covers my mountain biking as well as my road bike & touring bike.

Does it impact on other things in your life? What life? I don't have a job, no longer live close to where we used to before we went off to cycle around the world, and tis my only transport. I also live rurally. I do feel like I stripping :whistle: ... pj's, normal, lycra, normal, pjs... otherwise the cycling allows me to get from A-B (college twice a week so 30 miles total) physio once a week (that's a 25 mile round trip), plus a once a fortnight visit to my parent's (45 mile round trip) or my grandfather's once a month, (65mile round trip), tomorrow.

I do also go out recreationally as well both solo and with my husband as and when he is home.
Do you enjoy it? Yes - the weather does not bother me and rather like mountaineering in the rain, I rather enjoy cycling in the rain and despite the sunshine, today is the first time I have been out this week!

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I would mirror what most people have said on here. For a relatively fit cyclist no. For someone new to cycling, yes.
suspect I qualify for the former. I am in on the "no" vote, but tomorrow I am cycling to my grandfathers which is a 100km round trip by the shortest sensible (& legal) route, just to make him a couple of weeks of evening meals to freeze (he is 90 yrs old and never cooked a thing in his life).

I think I will follow @P.H suggestion and convert it to hours instead when discussing it with them in future.

The only additional exercise I do is occasionally walk someone else's dog or my husband (don't ask!) and 1hr of pilates a week. Walking is still an issue with the leg damage from the canine incident and whilst I can now manage a circuit of a medium sized supermarket, I can't then go into 'town' as well.

As for % body fat. No idea really. I'm 5'6", weighed in at the hospital at 66kg (10 stone 5lb) this afternoon which is 6kg lighter than in the autumn (my Addison's can easily account for this) and am back to a UK size 8 being too big again on the lower half, top half is a size 10. I know I am a lot heavier than people expect me to be, I always have been, but have also lost 2kg in the last month (though my holiday to Scotland could easily account for this despite being on steroids for all of the holiday).

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I voted no. When I was younger and riding a lot more seriously than I do now, I would easily do that, plus running and swimming. For non cyclists, I can see that 100mpw is a massive amount. Its something that I now aspire to.

If you are enjoying it, I would say just keep on doing it. I would have said that 66kg at 5'6" is perfectly normal. Muscle weighs more than fat anyway and at a size 8 - 10 you sound like you have a great figure and I am a little bit envious :smile:

Davidc

Guru
I put no. Most of my life I've done more than that. Since I had a heart attack I've been slower and only get up to 100 a week when the weather's good - it represents about 8 1/2 hours riding now.

For much of the population 100 miles in a week would be unimaginable but it's not much for a regular cyclist

Andrew_P

In between here and there
If you are enjoying every mile of the 100 it is not enough.. ^_^

colly

Re member eR
100 miles a week ? I dream of a hundred miles a week at the moment. Actually 1 miles a week would be an improvement.
For various reasons I have not been on any bike for 3 months. I've pushed them in and out of the garage/workshop lots of times but that's about it.

sigh

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The medical profession are not used to anyone who keeps fit. The trouble I have had with my shoulder injury and problem 'plumbs' they just don't understand. When you mention you can clock 120 miles in under 7 hours they think you mean 7 days.

100 miles a week is a good base fitness for a cyclist. I manage on about that over five days, but riding hard. Weekends will add to that, as will longer commutes.

You are doing the right thing. It should set us all up for a good run when we are getting older. I certainly want to be much fitter than my folks and in-laws at their age, and without the medication. Another thing doctors like to dole out, rather than fix the problem.

fossyant

100 miles a week ? I dream of a hundred miles a week at the moment. Actually 1 miles a week would be an improvement.
For various reasons I have not been on any bike for 3 months. I've pushed them in and out of the garage/workshop lots of times but that's about it.

sigh

Oh bugger, what's been the issue, not seen you about here for a while?

fossyant

Sounds like you are doing well there satnav... One can appreciate the problems you can have walking, but you are doing great with the bike following the injuries. As said, you don't fit the mould.

colly

Re member eR
Oh bugger, what's been the issue, not seen you about here for a while?
Oh nothing terrible (good in many respects), and nothing health wise. Just have been very busy work wise which has meant working most weekends as well as weekdays. Add to that several family issues and when I have, just possibly, had the time to get out................I've been too cream crackered.
Settling down a bit now so maybe, just maybe...................this weekend. :hyper:

Top Bottom