Is 100 miles a week a lot?

Is 100 miles a week cycling a lot in your opinion?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am cycling around 100 miles a week when not on holiday (holidays it is closer to 200 miles a week). I don't have a job and don't have any other transport. I usually only 4 days a week, never more than 6 days a week, I know my body needs to rest from time to time.

I've just had the usual "how much?" from the consultant at the hospital but at least this time he did understand that I have to stay fit to keep my asthma under control - medication alone is not enough, diet & exercise are essential to the control of my asthma... When I pointed out that just cycling to the hospital and back from home was 13 miles each time he was more understanding and appreciated I do less now than when I had a full time job (that was 15 miles a day, full time stressful job plus 1,000m swim at lunch each day, plus a ride with OH on a Sunday).

So yes or no: is cycling 100 miles a week a lot in your view?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not for me it is not, that would equate to less than 6 hours cycling per week for me. I tend to spend 7-9 hours a week on the bike.

But for other people, such as yourself maybe it is a lot?

Sara_H

Guru
Its a hundred miles more than the average person cycles!

I think 100 miles a week is a fair whack. Under normal circumstances I probably cycle around 50 miles per week, but it can vary wildly depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing!

potsy

Rambler
It's slightly less than my average per week, so for me it's not a lot, for a none or beginner cyclist I would imagine it's a hell of a lot.
But if you can do it and it's not doing your health harm then keep it up :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you are happy with your mileage crack on!

Personally, I don't tend to take note of mileage so much these days and prefer to think in terms of time on the bike (I had to go look up my data to see what 100 miles equates to in time for me). How long do you spend riding your bike? Does it impact on other things in your life? Do you enjoy it? All more important questions IMO.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think it's all relative. It's a huge amount for a new cyclist or someone who has to fit it in to a couple of evenings and a weekend ride to maintain as an average. Even a 5-10 mile commute would take a pretty big chunk of it away as would riding with a club/friends a couple of times a week. I'd also add though that not every 100miles is as easy as enjoyable as another. :smile:

If you've kept up 100 non-commuting miles a week average, self-motivated in the weather of the past year, I'd say that is really really good going and is definitely a lot! :thumbsup:

P.H

Über Member
From an fitness, health point of view, it depends on what else you're doing. If you'd said you do two hours moderate exercise 5 times a week I doubt the consultant would have commented. When you put it into miles it always sounds a lot to non cyclists. Put it into kilometers and it sounds even more! I voted that it's a lot, because to most people it is.

hoopdriver

Guru
Obviously it depends on the person. To some cyclists it would be a lot indeed, and for the average perso on the street it would be a full hundred miles more than they normally do. It would be about half my usually weekly mileage - although there again I have been off the bike with injury for the past seven weeks, so doing a hundred miles a week right now would seem a gratifying amount to me...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
There wasn't an 'all of the above' option so I went for 'no' as I'm yet another one who aims to do that in a week. I've done 90 miles so far this week in just two days. Is that a lot? On those two days, no. Today when it's 6pm and I've not even looked at the bikes as it's cold and windy and sleeting ... yes.

In short: context is everything.

Top Bottom