Is 100 miles a week a lot?

Is 100 miles a week cycling a lot in your opinion?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh nothing terrible (good in many respects), and nothing health wise. Just have been very busy work wise which has meant working most weekends as well as weekdays. Add to that several family issues and when I have, just possibly, had the time to get out................I've been too cream crackered.
Settling down a bit now so maybe, just maybe...................this weekend. :hyper:

Good, phew.... Now ride the bloody bike...

colly

Re member eR
Good, phew.... Now ride the bloody bike...
I'm not sure how any more.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The medical profession are not used to anyone who keeps fit. The trouble I have had with my shoulder injury and problem 'plumbs' they just don't understand. When you mention you can clock 120 miles in under 7 hours they think you mean 7 days.
+1
When i went for a works medical the nurses were looking at me like i was a freak as i had a sub 50 resting pulse and no spare tyre even though i am not whippet thin.
I commute 10 miles each way so on a full week i do 100 miles just commuting with a slightly lower average speed than i would do on a weekend ride .With a club run on a Sunday i can clock about 160 a week over about 9 hours for the week.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Welcome back Colly.

Oh - and to answer the op, 'Yes' if you're an average human being, 'No' if you're an active cyclist/member on here.

My colleagues think I'm mad to ride the distances I do, whereas other cyclist/sportspeople think it's normal or I could do a bit more. Throw into the mix swimming and running in triathlon prep, together with a young family and job with long hours I don't think I can, unless I don't bother sleeping.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
+1
When i went for a works medical the nurses were looking at me like i was a freak as i had a sub 50 resting pulse and no spare tyre even though i am not whippet thin.
I commute 10 miles each way so on a full week i do 100 miles just commuting with a slightly lower average speed than i would do on a weekend ride .With a club run on a Sunday i can clock about 160 a week over about 9 hours for the week.

Exactly.

I hate the hospital and doctors. Over the last 5 years I have only gone for my shoulder and the last few months with plumb problems after a iccle op.

Just don't ride your bike, here are some nasty drugs for you to take, will take away pain, cost us now't. Certainly told them to get lost with my recent issue. Why won't they get to fix underlying issues. It also doesn't help you if you know your own body.

We regularly go through the list of stuff my MIL is on, and you could drop two or three tablets easily if you looked at underlying issues. My GP doesn't like spending, but she is a bit shocked about our 'research' and we seem to know what's right and wrong about ourselves. She actually thinks we are weird for not accepting her view. She has been proved wrong totally so far.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think it's a lot, and unless your commuting or absolutely dedicated it's hard to maintain, well it is for me, I averaged last year 80.76 miles a week, which as a casual rider I think is a fair bit.

Fair play I say to all you lot that do a ton week.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I would mirror what most people have said on here. For a relatively fit cyclist no. For someone new to cycling, yes.
+1.A ton a week used to be a lot, let alone in a day. Up to the end of 2007, I did little more than my 5 mile a day commute for over a decade. Started building up the mileage from the beginning of '08, stepped it up again the following year, and the year after that, and again- did over 9k in 2011. Eased back, relatively, to 8k last year. This year…dunno. See how it goes.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I voted "yes" on impulse, there, because I read "day" instead of week :rolleyes:
Thinking it over, my answer would be that if you feel comfortable riding 100 miles a week, why not?
Anyway, if you use the bike as your only transport, the miles soon add up: my minimum is 50 just for the weekly work commute, without any detours or leisure rides.

D

Deleted member 1258

My weekly mileage varies depending whether I can get out on a Sunday or not, but averages around the 100 mile mark, I have a Family, grown up now, and a manual job, I couldn't do much more than I do now, I don't have the time to fit in much more pedalling, and with working I haven't got the energy to spare either, I recon for most people a 100 mile in a week is a good mileage, but if your young, I'm 61, fit fast and have no other commitments you should be able to easily exceed that.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yep, it's a lot... for cyclists in general. For many of us, it's just par for the course. I also love the effect cycling has on my health: I recently attended a hospital just for a day session (a gastroscopy), and when they checked my pulse pre-admission they asked me if I ran marathons, because my resting heart rate was quite low. So I just said "No. I cycle. A lot" ^_^

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

These were more questions to ask yourself, not to give me the answers :smile: I was kind of hinting that, if you spend a x numbers of hours on the bike, enjoying it and it is not detracting from other aspects of your life, then you are getting at least x numbers of hours of happiness and enjoyment in your week without a down side!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
During BST I aim for a minimum of 200km per week. 100 miles a week? Not a lot if you ride regularly. A seemingly impossible distance if you don't.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's about my normal commuting miles - I'm finding it harder going in the winter - but in the summer it seems less difficult. I voted No as I think there are plenty of other cyclists doing more miles than me looking at how fit they look as they pass me. However to your average person in a street with a dusty bike somewhere at the back of their garage it probably exceeds their annual mileage!

Top Bottom