Is 5000 miles for a Shimano Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket reasonable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It started making noises a few weeks ago.

I've had it out and greased up all the joints but the issue is inside.

I think 5K is about right??

Or is that a little soon?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends on weather and use - I've gone through them in as little as 2000 miles but up to 6000 in some cases.

Unfortunately they don't appear to be long-lasting. As a result I've fitted an Aerozine BB to my commuter bike.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Oooh, they are a bit sexy! (the Aerozine BB) thanks - I might go that way

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It really is a case of how long is a piece of string.
Go out in a lot of wet weather and crappy winter roads and you'll kill a BB quicker then if you went out in only dry.

Replace with a cheaper alternative. I have found they're all much muchness.

Svendo

Guru
FWIW I got a Hope hollowtech II BB which has lasted without complaint through two winters, including this last very mucky gritty one. I guesstimate it’s fine about 6-7000 miles so far.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
FWIW I got a Hope hollowtech II BB which has lasted without complaint through two winters, including this last very mucky gritty one. I guesstimate it’s fine about 6-7000 miles so far.
And what is great about Hope BB's is that the bearings are changeable.

And what is great about Hope BB's is that the bearings are changeable.

For £90 I'd expect it to pedal for me as well! :eek:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Crickey that’s gone up I got mine for about £45 but that was reduced and about 6 years ago. (There was a long delay in fitting it as the previous DA bottom bracket refused to give up)

Wow that was a bargain - even then :eek:

I wanted a gold BB for the single speed and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price. In the end I settled for Shimano Saint

Crankarm

Guru
It started making noises a few weeks ago.

I've had it out and greased up all the joints but the issue is inside.

I think 5K is about right??

Or is that a little soon?

It's a sealed BB so you cannot open it up and service it. Need to bin and replace. As others have said longevity is affected by so many factors not least by grotty weather but also by riding style. If you push heavy gears your transmission isn't going to last as long as a rider who is kinder to their transmissions and therefore less grinding forces on the BB.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

It's a sealed BB so you cannot open it up and service it. Need to bin and replace. As others have said longevity is affected by so many factors not least by grotty weather but also by riding style. If you push heavy gears your transmission isn't going to last as long as a rider who is kinder to their transmissions and therefore less grinding forces on the BB.

Well, I do a lot of hills - a 1000 feet every day of the week, then 2000 feet at the weekend. So I guess it's not just miles but climbing that wears them down. thanks

bpsmith

Veteran
I am more a grinder than a spinner and my PF30 has done 4,600 on one bike, in all sorts of weather, and still going. Their notorious for not lasting long, if believe online claims.

Personally, the grinding argument doesn’t seem to fit with my experience.

Top Bottom