Is a bike fitting worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
What change was made?

Saddle back and down, bars further away, down and rotated, custom inner soles, cleat adjustment.

You’ve just described exactly what I posted 2 posts above yours. ;)
Well maybe that most experienced folk with some bikes to fiddle with don't really need one. Some folk with particular issues may benefit from one.

Mind you my first advice for someone to feel comfortable and natural on a bike would be to give up thoughts of a tour win, enjoy the view when touring and ditch the drops :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Well maybe that most experienced folk with some bikes to fiddle with don't really need one. Some folk with particular issues may benefit from one.

Mind you my first advice for someone to feel comfortable and natural on a bike would be to give up thoughts of a tour win, enjoy the view when touring and ditch the drops :smile:

Why ditch the drops, people have been doing mega distances for years on thet. I find drops far more comfortable than straights on longer rides.

Just my personal view screenman, that's all. They put me off cycling any distance for decades.

But as I say, only my personal feel.

Back to the topic.

bpsmith

Veteran

Experienced, as in owned/ridden bikes for x number of years, rather than an expert in how they fit your anatomy and the quirks involved.

With regards to the drop bar point, I have issues with my joints and the connective tissues in between and so my hands are most affected. Drop bars allow a lot more options as to positioning and I would likely not be cycling if I had to pick any of the straight bar bikes I tried. I know a number of people with drop bars that rarely use the drop part but need to top shape and hoods.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5306863, member: 45"]Maybe some riders don't feel any discomfort, have read around a lot about bike fitting and learned how to tweak themselves and have managed to get it right, and don't want to risk over £100 on something that possibly will be a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

Maybe some are the two words jumping out at me.

bpsmith

Veteran
That’s the thing. People who post asking if bike fits are worth it, are more likely to be those that would gain from it than those posting that their years of experience and tinkering mean it’s not worth having one.

It’s almost like saying that you don’t need a bike fit, just fiddle for about 40 years and you’ll eventually get it right. ;)

Top Bottom