Is a bike fitting worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I spent a lot of time in the first year adjusting things like saddle height, fore / aft, cleat position etc. Also read up a lot on positioning etc. Never quite been 100% satisfied and sometimes wonder is by bike is a smidge small (top tube length) as I feel a little 'compressed' at times, or if saddle should be further forwards for optimim leg/knee position, but then I'd feel even more compressed...

Generally I'm comfy enough up to an hour and a half... after that lower back pain gradually increases. After 2 hours its quite uncomfy... haven't managed to ride much more than 2.5 hours becuase of it. Other than that I'd have the stamina to keep going. I also used to get knee pain but seem to have over come that okay.

Maybe it's a fitness / core thing. I consider myself reasonably fit, but perhaps if I keep plugging away things will improve?

Back to the OP, I'd been cycling a lot longer than 4 years before I had a bike fit earlier this year, although I've not owned many bikes for more than 4 years ^_^ At the bike fit minimal changes were made, slight adjustment to cleat position, & saddle & bars raised slightly. I suffer with my back, but my lower back actually improves the more I cycle (my chiropracter has always said that cycling will help my back & improve my core) however on long rides (6hr+)or rides involving a lot of riding into the wind often result in tight shoulders & neck. The bike fit did help reduce this.
I think the key is finding the right bike fit, maybe on someone's recommendation if anyone local has had one

Being 6'5" I often thought my bikes could be a touch on the small side & maybe I was making do with the largest standard frame available, but after a visit to Enigma last week, I was measured & had a bike fit on a demo bike, (which was as thorough as the bike fit I paid for) I was willing to pay for a custom geometry frame if need be, but I'm not even right on the limit of their largest frame. Maybe just getting the bars & saddle in right position is key?
If you are planning a new bike any time soon, maybe consider a shop that offers a bike fitting service free with a bike purchase? A friend bought a Van Nic from Fatbirds last year & was quite impressed with the bike fit he had on collection of the bike

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll have you know I'm actually quite fussy about what I will pull out of a skip and ride.
I love it!

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Wow - can of worms opened ?! :smile:. Didn’t realise it would be such a devisive subject.
Great reading though. Appreciate the different perspectives. It’s what makes forums interesting. ;)

I’m trying a new saddle (fitted yesterday after measuring sitbones a bunch of times, short ride, already adjusted again today), measured a bunch of stuff, raised the saddle by about 10mm, done the KOPs thing, got the missus to take pics of me on the bike (she thinks I’m bonkers) and measured angles, adjusted my cleats (think they were too far back causing me to be a little toe down). Will have another short ride to see how all that is working out before a much longer ride tomorrow.

After that, I’m maybe considering a higher stem, although I’m not an ‘upright’ cyclist at all (I guess I‘d put myself in the ‘performance’ position category.... 80% on the hoods, 15% on the drops and 5% on the tops), it might stop me putting too much weight through my arms if I’m reaching forwards too much. We’ll see.

I think i’ll stick with adjusting things like that for the rest of the season and see how I get on. Doubt I’ll cycle that much more than 100km in one go this year (about my pain tolerance limit for now), and if I do further maybe I just need to stop for a good stretching and rest for bit part way around. My rides in the winter tend to be much shorter so the lower back pain isn’t an issue then.

I am considering either a new bike, or rebuilding my current one for next year, so if I don’t manage to sort my lower back by then (I plan to work on a few core excercises too that might help) I think i’ll consider chatting to the guys at the local club (that I’m not a member of, being a solo cyclist) to see who they’d recommend (if anyone) for a fit.

Thanks for all your input. Despite the polar opposite opinions it’s all been a big help - love this forum!

Edit// thought it interesting (due to some of the comments and opinions in this thread ) that as I’ve got fitter and naturally faster etc my position is slowly getting lower on its own. Not because i’m forcing it too, but just because it just feels comfier / more natural / more efficient / powerful for certain stages in a ride, and shifting my weight over different parts of the bike for certain conditions is the natural thing to do. Strangely enough usually the last part of a long ride is the more head down part for me... maybe fatigue, or just a final push to get home.. admittedly I don’t have the belly I used to a couple of years ago, so I now ‘fold’ over much easier and more naturally. My position does change a lot thoughout a ride, not ‘cos i’m copying any style, but just what feels or works best at any given point. It’d feel plain weird (and probably be dangerous) to sit bolt upright cruising at 30kph, or flying downhill at 45 - 50kph!

I also don’t have piles of cash just waiting to be spent - hence why i posted on here. It’d definitely be a considered purchase and i’d probably deem a fit worth it only if I could be reasonably sure it would solve a specific problem (lower back pain) that I couldn’t fix on my own. I’d rather not need to spend the £££ on something not so tangible or material - i’m a tight northerner after all.!

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Never used a bike for anything other than sporting here. Still a cyclist though.

Sporting cyclists are very much in the minority, the majority either cycle purely for utility reasons, for relaxation/general wellbeing/weight control, or a mixture of any of them. Most cycles on the road are flat bar machines of various sorts and their riders are not generally at all interested in going as fast as possible or attempting to beat someone else's time. Someone made a comment the other day on the Lidl cycling offers thread, saying they were misguided to sell cycling shoes that weren't deigned for cleats. They completely missed the point that the vast majority of cyclists have no intention of riding clipless, so they don't want or need SPD shoes. I'd say Lidl have judged their market better than the commentator, as I had to search through a large pile of the shoes today to find the one remaining pair in my size! I wouldn't have bought them if they were SPD, I want shoes I can cycle in and then do other everyday activity in without having to keep changing footwear.

. It’d feel plain weird (and probably be dangerous) to sit bolt upright cruising at 30kph, or flying downhill at 45 - 50kph!
I also don’t have piles of cash just waiting to be spent - hence why i posted on here. It’d definitely be a considered purchase and i’d probably deem a fit worth it only if I could be reasonably sure it would solve a specific problem (lower back pain) that I couldn’t fix on my own. I’d rather not need to spend the £££ on something not so tangible or material - i’m a tight northerner after all.!

When I had a drop bar bike I used to sit as upright as possible on descents as a means of aerodynamic speed control to reduce the need for braking - I had steel rims back then too. I'm not interested in trying to beat the land speed record when descending a gradient on a bike, I'd rather get to the bottom in one piece without crashing
Not wanting to waste money on something intangible is not being a "tight Northerner" at all, it's simply called having your head screwed on. There's nothing Northern about me -and I don't waste money on trivial stuff either..

screenman

Legendary Member
John, so if we do not think and behave the same as you then we are wrong. Have you thought that if us guys with disposable did not spend it there would be nothing in the skips for you to scavenge. The majority of people around the world do not have a computer, or access to the internet, does it make you a money waster for using one?

bpsmith

Veteran
Like toilet paper ? Waste of money that when you can use old wall paper you have found !
Or Beer, as you can get equally as cross eyed from the similarly coloured water at the bottom of a skip. :smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
I'll trust a bike-fit bod who's ridden for as long as I have. Except they'll probably have retired.
Being a long time rider might be a bonus for bike fitting, but far from qualifies anyone without actually knowing about the anatomy and the effects of adjusting various bike components accordingly.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Being a long time rider might be a bonus for bike fitting, but far from qualifies anyone without actually knowing about the anatomy and the effects of adjusting various bike components accordingly.

You don't say!

But most bike-fitting services are just a way of relieving beginners and the gullible of their money.

screenman

Legendary Member
You don't say!

But most bike-fitting services are just a way of relieving beginners and the gullible of their money.

I got huge benefit from paying £175 for a bike fit, I had tampered around for over 40 years and taken advice from some of the countries too coaches and even the British team chiropractor, gullible, I doubt it

What happened with your fit that has put you off them?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I got huge benefit from paying £175 for a bike fit, I had tampered around for over 40 years and taken advice from some of the countries too coaches and even the British team chiropractor, gullible, I doubt it

What happened with your fit that has put you off them?

The builder who made my last but one frame measured me up on his jig, and managed to get within a couple of mm of my position on the old bike, so no change there. Our club coach squinted at my position and declared there was nothing wrong with that.

However, if you re-read my previous post carefully...

bpsmith

Veteran
You don't say!

Well you’re the one that thinks anyone who does bike fits, that happens to have ridden as long as you, is automatically better than someone with real fit experience but not ridden for as long.

You’re also rather bitter and pessimistic in stating that most bike fit services are just to rip people off. I just don’t agree.

Top Bottom