Is a bike fitting worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You will need to go back in a few months time to do it all again. Just like every one else i know who have had a bike fit. Explain to me how someone who does not know you can put you in a posision thats right. :wacko:
Which is why I go to a Physio who does and understands the medical stuff unlike someone who’s done the Retul course

Drago

Legendary Member
I reverted to my own settings. By then I had over 4 decades of saddle experience, and was pretty used to my duff arm, and had tweaked my settings to a very comfortable degree, and nothing but nothing is more important than comfort. No point in being in a biomechanically efficient position if you're uncomfortable.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
and nothing but nothing is more important than comfort. No point in being in a biomechanically efficient position if you're uncomfortable.

This is where a lot of so-called "serious" cyclists seem to lose the plot, IMHO. They obsess about "efficiency" and being able to produce the maximum power output, and spend good money on bike fits in order to achieve this. What seems to get lost in all the obsession for a few extra watts, is that riding a bike is supposed to be enjoyable, and there is nothing enjoyable about riding in a manner that forces your body into an unnatural position, like the aggressive head down arse up stance that a lot of amateurs seem to have aped from pros. The difference is the pros are being paid good money to endure the discomfort of riding like this for the extra speed, the amateur cyclist isn't.
Just like @Drago I've been riding bikes for over 40 years on and off, and I think by now I pretty much know how high I like my saddle for easy pedalling and minimal fatigue, and how high and far away I want the handlebars to avoid numb hand or shoulder and back discomfort. Unless you have a custom-built bike, you are always going to be compromising to a certain degree starting out with whatever production frame size feels best.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not a "bike fit" per se, but when I bought my Condor, they worked out the sizing and positioning by sitting me on their adjust-o-tron bike frame. They then chose frame size and stem etc based on that. Bike was assembled and set.up based on that and I must say it is by far the most comfortable bike I've ridden, having never been quite happy with set up on my other bikes. I think I dropped the handlebars down 5mm a year later, but it was still spot on pretty much. OK it's a nice bike anyway, but I reckon the fit is much of that. Not quite the answer to your question other than to say fit really does matter. My own opinion, and it is only opinion now, is that I'd consider a formal "bike fit" only from someone who is reccommended and that that recommendation is from someone you yourself trust - ie the recommendor is themselves rational and sensible, rather than swayed by the latest fad. Also from the OP, you have a view of things being not quite right, so at least there is something to aim at rather than chasing shadows

screenman

Legendary Member
To the OP if it is disposable income what else would you spend it on, many spend it on drinking, smoking, magazines etc. the choice is
This is where a lot of so-called "serious" cyclists seem to lose the plot, IMHO. They obsess about "efficiency" and being able to produce the maximum power output, and spend good money on bike fits in order to achieve this. What seems to get lost in all the obsession for a few extra watts, is that riding a bike is supposed to be enjoyable, and there is nothing enjoyable about riding in a manner that forces your body into an unnatural position, like the aggressive head down arse up stance that a lot of amateurs seem to have aped from pros. The difference is the pros are being paid good money to endure the discomfort of riding like this for the extra speed, the amateur cyclist isn't.
Just like @Drago I've been riding bikes for over 40 years on and off, and I think by now I pretty much know how high I like my saddle for easy pedalling and minimal fatigue, and how high and far away I want the handlebars to avoid numb hand or shoulder and back discomfort. Unless you have a custom-built bike, you are always going to be compromising to a certain degree starting out with whatever production frame size feels best.

I cannot stand poodling about, head down and backside up on every ride for this old guy, certainly with my back it is also more comfortable. I am of course different to you as many other are, am I here saying you are wrong, no I am not, just different.

crazyjoe101

If you're not hard up then a bike fit is well worth the money if you're struggling to find a good position on your bike, also consider the use of apps or a more experienced cycling friend's eye to help.

As I started getting fitter, riding further and faster a few years ago, I could not work out the cause of my lower back and knee pain despite attempting to adjust almost every aspect of my bike. Eventually after a bike fit it was determined that although my frame was the right size for my height by general measures, my body proportions were better suited to a larger frame, so they make some setup changes and a stem change on my bike which helped in the short term. Eventually I built up a larger frame and set it up to according to their size chart and I have had almost 0 aches and pains on my bikes that relate to fit in the years since, worth the £150 in my eyes.

EDIT: They also recommended me a saddle and pair of shoes, both were relatively expensive and both have paid for themselves many times over in changing my experience on my bike. Some people will say I was dumb enough to be taken round the block, others will agree it's worth the money.

bpsmith

Veteran
To the OP if it is disposable income what else would you spend it on, many spend it on drinking, smoking, magazines etc. the choice is

I cannot stand poodling about, head down and backside up on every ride for this old guy, certainly with my back it is also more comfortable. I am of course different to you as many other are, am I here saying you are wrong, no I am not, just different.
I would say @SkipdiverJohn is actually wrong. Not in the part about riding supposed to be enjoyable, but in the part where he blindly assumes that a more aggressive position is automatically uncomfortable. As you say, we’re all different. Some people are actually more comfortable in what looks like a more aggressive position. That just the way it is. Others are clearly trying hard to force themselves into that position and it doesn’t work for them. Just not everyone needs to be sat bolt upright.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would say @SkipdiverJohn is actually wrong. Not in the part about riding supposed to be enjoyable, but in the part where he blindly assumes that a more aggressive position is automatically uncomfortable. As you say, we’re all different. Some people are actually more comfortable in what looks like a more aggressive position. That just the way it is. Others are clearly trying hard to force themselves into that position and it doesn’t work for them. Just not everyone needs to be sat bolt upright.

I would say only a small minority of high-mileage cyclists are sufficiently flexible to be genuinely happy with that sort of stance. A lot of riders blindly copycat whatever the latest fashion is perceived to be - whether it be clothing, riding position - whatever, and force themselves to ride in an uncomfortable manner out of vanity. If I rode a bike any distance with the bars several inches lower than the saddle, my next trip would be to the doctors to get a sick note for a couple of weeks off work with a bad back!

bpsmith

Veteran
I would say only a small minority of high-mileage cyclists are sufficiently flexible to be genuinely happy with that sort of stance. A lot of riders blindly copycat whatever the latest fashion is perceived to be - whether it be clothing, riding position - whatever, and force themselves to ride in an uncomfortable manner out of vanity. If I rode a bike any distance with the bars several inches lower than the saddle, my next trip would be to the doctors to get a sick note for a couple of weeks off work with a bad back!
What qualifies you to make that decision and on what basis? I can’t imagine there’s any data out there to suggest that.

You also made the assumption that all riders are high mileage riders. Some people have multiple bikes which are set up to be suited to the riding style they choose on any particular day. They may have an aero bike which is designed to be comfortable for only shorter rides, along with a more relaxed setup for longer ones. Others are comfortable all day long with a decent drop between saddle and bars.

Not everyone has a fleet of bikes that all do the same job and are all set up the same.

screenman

Legendary Member

Maybe you should do some stretching.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Or get a bike that fits and is adjustable and not just what happens to be free.

I'll have you know I'm actually quite fussy about what I will pull out of a skip and ride. Nothing with any sort of suspension for starters, and sizing has to be in the right ball park. I've thrown several back in again after rejecting them. Most of my bike acquisitions have involved the exchange of cash, not a large amount I grant you, but money did change hands.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Why the assumption that a bike fit will result in a more "aggressive" position? Mine resulted in the bars being raised a bit.

Possibly because ,most cyclists that are willing to shell out the price of a cheapo new bike just for a fit are likely to be more bothered about performance than the average rider. I would suspect if you stopped ten random utility cyclists just going about their everyday business and asked them what they thought of bike fits,the response from most of them would probably be along the lines of "WTF is a bike fit? - never heard of it"

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Possibly because ,most cyclists that are willing to shell out the price of a cheapo new bike just for a fit are likely to be more bothered about performance than the average rider.

Or more accurately as this thread and the many others on bike fit show, most of the posters who have actually had a bike fit did it to try to end discomfort. But don’t let that get in the way of your unfounded opinions, as usual.

Top Bottom