Is a bike fitting worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I might be the exception here, but I've never felt the need for a bike fit.
Either I'm lucky, or I am an unusual size that just fits bikes. ^_^

I've never needed to do anything other than adjust the saddle height on any of the bikes I've owned. It sometimes takes a few tweaks to get it just so, then that it and I've spent up to 8 hours at a time on the bike so it works for me.

That said, I've got a mate who try as he might just couldn't get himself comfortable on his bike.
He paid for a bike fit and as a consequence changed several components on the bike and reckons it's some of the best money he's ever spent.

Kajjal

Guru

I've never needed to do anything other than adjust the saddle height on any of the bikes I've owned. It sometimes takes a few tweaks to get it just so, then that it and I've spent up to 8 hours at a time on the bike so it works for me.

That said, I've got a mate who try as he might just couldn't get himself comfortable on his bike.
He paid for a bike fit and as a consequence changed several components on the bike and reckons it's some of the best money he's ever spent.

You are just lucky at being the perfect average bike size :smile:

On all my bikes I have had to make various adjustments to make them fit me well such as wider saddle, stem change, moving spacers etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you do anything off the bike in terms of other exercise, stretching etc

I’ve had 3 bikes fits over the years. The first was Retul, fairly unhelpful and most costly. The other two were done by physios who actually understood the joint issues and history I have. I’ll potentially get the second Physio to do a fit on the new bike if I can’t get it right myself quickly or get issues.

£100 max to get a 2.4k bike right is certainly worth it for me. But we’re all different

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Thanks Derrick, seen and used those vids before. Good to go over them again though. The GCN vid led me to another video about saddle height so tweaked based on that. I though I’d need to be higher, but it made me a few mm lower. I’ve also re-levelled my saddle. Always been ever-so-slightly nose up, just personal pref but can see how it could put pressure on lower back.

Thanks too Vickster. I don’t do masses of other exercise... swim about a mile per week and a few push ups everyday for past couple of months. I’ll maybe swap that for more ‘core’ or stretchy stuff. I don’t sit in the best position at my desk (I’m a slouched) so guess hours of that doesn’t do my back much good either.

The more I think about it, there’s a fair bit I can try before paying for a fit. I see there value and recognise done correctly they’re beneficial but am keen to see what I can achieve first.

I think investing in a new saddle is the next move.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Thanks Derrick, seen and used those vids before. Good to go over them again though. The GCN vid led me to another video about saddle height so tweaked based on that. I though I’d need to be higher, but it made me a few mm lower. I’ve also re-levelled my saddle. Always been ever-so-slightly nose up, just personal pref but can see how it could put pressure on lower

I think investing in a new saddle is the next move.
Saddles are completely different ballgame. I found the specialized Toupe a good starting point. Then moved to selle italia. The ones with the split in them suit me. You need to try before you buy. A good saddle is worth its weight in gold.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Im exactly the same. I can fit my bikes by feel and look. Luckily to have never had any problems.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I was mentioning about having wider handlebars, but then apparently its uncommon for women to need these :blush: So maybe it's just me....:whistle:

I am considering this as well, I too have made small adjustments myself - but I feel this maybe a good idea for myself as I have 'mechanical lower back issues' (my osteopaths words!)

Trigger369

Über Member
I had a retul bike fit 4 weeks ago . Before it I had numb fingers and feet ,sore bum always wiggling about on the saddle ,sore shoulders after a ride ,and sore knee occasionally
Fitted by a semi pro rider .
I needed my saddle risen by 5mm brought back 20mm and saddle changed to a wider saddle as my own saddle wasnt wide enough.handle bars lowered a bit as well . I Had insoles put into my shoes as my arches were high and feet were moving about in my shoes .
Now have no more numbness in feet and hands ,shoulders pain near completely gone .and bum is a he'll of a lot better . Tho I still find on a 50mile ride I still am wiggling about on the saddle after an hour trying to get comfort . I've still to go back for a review to see if the fit has worked so I would say it will be sorted before I leave the fit . I hpoe lol . But i would say its 200quid plus 80 for the new saddle pretty expensive but well worth the money if u have problems .

bpsmith

Veteran
I am a Fizik Arione man personally, or at least my sit bones are. I have 3 different versions on 3 bikes and they all fit lovely. 2 are essentially the same, other than the kium vs carbon rails. The other one is the Tri version which has more padding on the front and front section for obvious reasons. Again the fit is great as they shape is the same.

It just proves that it’s the width and shape which matters, more than the padding.

harrison_888

Regular
I’ve made a number of adjustments but I still get a niggle in the lower back over 1.5 hours and my left hand begins to get pins and needles after an hour. The back problem I consider to be down to top tube length but the numby hand seems more tricky to adjust out. I know a bike fit will look into this more closely but at £80 at the LBS I don’t know if it’s worth it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you do anything off the bike in terms of other exercise, stretching etc

I’ve had 3 bikes fits over the years. The first was Retul, fairly unhelpful and most costly. The other two were done by physios who actually understood the joint issues and history I have. I’ll potentially get the second Physio to do a fit on the new bike if I can’t get it right myself quickly or get issues.

£100 max to get a 2.4k bike right is certainly worth it for me. But we’re all different

Aye, mine was a Retul fit. If I'd paid full price I'd have been most unimpressed.

bpsmith

Veteran
I assume that a Retül starts with the ideal position for your height and flexibility. Then requires expertise to factor in specific issues and quirks.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I had a retul bike fit 4 weeks ago . Before it I had numb fingers and feet ,sore bum always wiggling about on the saddle ,sore shoulders after a ride ,and sore knee occasionally
Fitted by a semi pro rider .
I needed my saddle risen by 5mm brought back 20mm and saddle changed to a wider saddle as my own saddle wasnt wide enough.handle bars lowered a bit as well . I Had insoles put into my shoes as my arches were high and feet were moving about in my shoes .
Now have no more numbness in feet and hands ,shoulders pain near completely gone .and bum is a he'll of a lot better . Tho I still find on a 50mile ride I still am wiggling about on the saddle after an hour trying to get comfort . I've still to go back for a review to see if the fit has worked so I would say it will be sorted before I leave the fit . I hpoe lol . But i would say its 200quid plus 80 for the new saddle pretty expensive but well worth the money if u have problems .
You will need to go back in a few months time to do it all again. Just like every one else i know who have had a bike fit. Explain to me how someone who does not know you can put you in a posision thats right. :wacko:

Top Bottom