Is a distance ever too short to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
A few times now on other threads people have commented that they wouldn't cycle less than 4/5/10/20 miles. It's been suggested that my commute of 1.5miles(ish) to work isn't worth getting the bike out for.
I disagree. I cycle everywhere that I used to walk to. If I can't cycle we go in the car - unless I'm going shopping and I know I won't fit everything on the bike to come home, then reluctantly I'll walk.
About the only walking I don't object to now is the dog walk, and if I could train him to keep up with the bike I'd cycle that too!
Just curious if others put a minimum distance on their cycling or if anyone else is like me and just want to cycle everywhere.

pixiepie

I cycle just over 2 miles to work. Why walk 35 minutes when you can be there on a bike in 10? It's just show-offs that say it isn't worth it - I bet if they needed to get somewhere 2 miles away, they'd cycle it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think my decision point is around the three-quarters of a mile stage. It would be shorter if I didn't have to carry the bike up 4 floors when I get home.

lulubel

Über Member
No distance is too small, but living 3 floors up, and not knowing if you'll have somewhere safe to lock up the bike at your destination does affect my choices. If it's going to take longer to get the bike out, ride it, and find somewhere to lock it up than it is to walk, I don't see much sense in getting the bike out.

But that's my personal preference. I enjoy walking.

Crankarm

Guru
A few times now on other threads people have commented that they wouldn't cycle less than 4/5/10/20 miles. It's been suggested that my commute of 1.5miles(ish) to work isn't worth getting the bike out for.
I disagree. I cycle everywhere that I used to walk to. If I can't cycle we go in the car - unless I'm going shopping and I know I won't fit everything on the bike to come home, then reluctantly I'll walk.
About the only walking I don't object to now is the dog walk, and if I could train him to keep up with the bike I'd cycle that too!
Just curious if others put a minimum distance on their cycling or if anyone else is like me and just want to cycle everywhere.

You're just lazy ;). Walking short distances is much easier.

I'm not sure why, but when walking I often think how much faster I'd be going on a bicycle and how much easier it would be.

Despite cycling to meetings 15 or 20 miles away on fast, sweeping NSL A-roads, I never feel a car would be faster or easier when I'm cycling.

I ride to the shops a quarter of a mile away unless it's bundles of dry-cleaning and I'd have a suit-in-spokes endo on the way.

When our eldest started to cycle (17 years ago?) I imposed a rule for myself that the car wasn't started if it wasn't leaving town. I have never stuck to it rigidly, because of the municipal dump, heavy shopping loads, glasses rented for parties, elderly guests to church and similar, but it has been a good general rule and it means the bikes come out for the silliest distance.

Going back to the OP, a 1.5 mile route to work is pure bicycle country. It's not a competition, it's just what makes sense.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I separate utility miles and actual "cycling" miles in my head.

I.e. I will cycle anywhere from 1 mile upwards for utility purposes, but I would not bother going out for a leisure or training ride for anything less than about 25-30 miles.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I have girly emo jeans with a bit of lycra in so I tend to hop on the bike for pretty much any trip. I regularly nip to to the co-op or chippy and back and that's probably about 400 yards away. I have my bikes hanging in my back passage so I can hop on them and nip out the gate with zero hassle.

That being said, if I'm going to don the spandex I want to do at least twenty miles.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Crankarm, I am incredibly lazy and I've decided that walking a mile is no longer fun, but cycling it is.
I don't drive so there's no question of me getting the car out, but I'm not averse to bullying Mr6 into acting as chauffeur on the weekend.
I do agree that there's a difference between utility cycling and cycling for sport/ fitness though.

Top Bottom