Is a distance ever too short to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterStan

Label Required
For the really short rides, there's no need to get into the full road kit. Gloves, hat, MTB shoes are the only differences from pedestrian clothing for me.
Agreed although i have been know to cycle in my office shoes on SPD-SL pedals! Suit trousers tucked into socks - bright ones work best i find.

AndyRM

XOXO
I hate walking so will happily ride tiny distances.

My Chopper is for pub and paper collection duties, which can't be more than a 750m round trip.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've cycled to the post box and back again before now so 200 m perhaps each way. Now I'm nearer to the postbox I do walk the distance instead. I think part of it can be the environment - if it's nice then walking is fine, but if it is dull I just want to get there and back as quick as possible.

A few times now on other threads people have commented that they wouldn't cycle less than 4/5/10/20 miles. It's been suggested that my commute of 1.5miles(ish) to work isn't worth getting the bike out for.
I disagree.

From an exercise point of view, you would probably burn more calories by walking.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I walk up to the shops which is half a mile away, anything over I'll cycle

GrasB

Veteran
I don't see the point of getting the bike out for a trip that'll take less than 15 min by foot. By the time I've got the bike out & done a cursory check of the bike plus locking it at the other end it won't take any less time than by foot.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I cycle just over 2 miles to work. Why walk 35 minutes when you can be there on a bike in 10?

this. although I won't cycle for two minutes when i could walk for ten... so maybe half a mile I'd rather walk than cycle.

It's just show-offs that say it isn't worth it - I bet if they needed to get somewhere 2 miles away, they'd cycle it.

they'd drive it!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't see the point in riding to anywhere less than 15 minutes walk (1 mile) away unless I am in a terrible hurry.

I am incredibly lazy and I've decided that walking a mile is no longer fun, but cycling it is.
You should find somewhere nice to walk! Okay, perhaps you might not have this kind of thing a few minutes walk away ...

stoodley-pike-from-heptonstall-in-winter-sunshine.jpg

... but surely there must be a park or canal towpath nearby?

One thing that cyclists (especially female cyclists) should take account is that though cycling has many health benefits, it does not help much in protecting against bone loss. If you do a lot of cycling, the risk of osteoporosis can actually be increased. Because walking is load-bearing, it helps strengthen bones.

Get those walking boots on a couple of times a week! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom