Is a distance ever too short to cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill-H

slow and steady
if it takes longer to get bike out from turbo in front room than to walk then i walk if not i ride and add a bit of a detour

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was amused to see someone push his bike across the road today until he got back onto the pavement, whereupon he cycled 5 metres to the door of the library, where he locked it to a door guard. Funny thing was that he was less than 2 metres from the bike stands when he got on his bike.

400bhp

Guru
I find this an odd question.

I try and treat my bike as a 3rd leg. There's shops perhaps half a mile away. I have a choice-walk/car/bike/don't go.

I'll often take the bike. I enjoy it. I'm not really sure why but I think some of it is a childish like - reminds me of when I was young and would cycle everywhere.

GrasB

Veteran
I didn't think there was any proven link between cycling & osteoporosis?
From what little I've read on this subject the only study which used not overweight but sedentary people as control concluded cycling has a smaller impact on preventing osteoporosis than most other sports. The majority of studies used a control which was made up of people who were using load bearing exercise to maintain fitness.

geo

IMO as its your commuting distance then No its not too short, personally I wouldnt get kitted up to go out for a ride of that distance but you cant choose how far you go to work !! although I suppose you could change your route to go a little further if you wished too ^_^

Reece

Veteran
I commute to work and one way is 1.2 miles. I always use the bike and do so because I'd rather cycle it in 5minutes than walk it in 15minutes. Extra time in bed for me lol.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've definitely read articles suggesting that there is and I don't remember reading anything that showed evidence to the contrary. I'll see what I can find out and will report back later!
There are lots of articles out there - here's another example. I found references to various academic articles.

The problem is supposed to be related to calcium losses in sweat and the fact that cycling is so low-impact that it doesn't stimulate the bones to absorb more.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
IMO as its your commuting distance then No its not too short, personally I wouldnt get kitted up to go out for a ride of that distance but you cant choose how far you go to work !! although I suppose you could change your route to go a little further if you wished too ^_^

I don't tend to get kitted up , I just go in my work clothes -unless it's wet then I have waterproof pants on top. In the summer I did add a few miles to the route but it's no fun in the cold.

Top Bottom