Is a Prince of Wales check suit too informal for a funeral?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sadly I have a funeral to attend next month, and have a choice between my old faithful grey sharkskin suit or my better-fitting, not-yet-worn-in-anger grey / burgundy PoW check alternative.

I'm keen to wear the latter as it fits better and I've not worn it yet, however am concerned that it might seem overly casual. Either would be worn with a burgundy shirt and tie with black Moccasins, if that makes any difference..

Ta :smile:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sounds like a great suit; so long as it looks respectful and not flash I'd say go with it.

Would it work better/ at all with a white shirt and black tie?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Sounds like a great suit; so long as it looks respectful and not flash I'd say go with it.

Would it work better/ at all with a white shirt and black tie?

Tbh it just seems a bit more casual / playful than other suits and I don't want to appear inappropriate / disrespectful.

I try to stay away from the black / white thing as I'm quite low-contrast (fair skin, blond hair) so high-contrast clothing tends to distract from my face / make me look washed out. I like the consistant red theme as it keys in with the suit and keeps contrast low..

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

It seems to be on the increase nowadays that there's a no black request by some families, has there been anything said about the one that you're attending?

Not that I'm aware of; sadly I don't think the deceased had many / any family members to make such requests. Tbh black is out anyway as I don't have a black suit for the aforementioned reasons; so it's either the safe choice of sharkskin grey, or less-so burgandy PoW check grey..

Jameshow

Veteran
What was the said persons wishes / personality?

That would guide me!

Went to one funeral after a muddy bike ride and got changed into black jeans and raincoat behind a tree!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Unless there's a "no black" type request or an otherwise bohemian vibe to the family I go for the dark grey one. Burgundy suit isn't normally a funeral type thing to be honest

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

For the avoidance of doubt, the suit in question. Apologies for the poor photography - the house of Wafter is not conducive to to such aims..

Still on the fence as to whether it's a bit much.

*EDIT* Photo removed as it's now served it's purpose - thanks all :smile:

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
For the avoidance of doubt, the suit in question.. apologies for the poor photography - the house of Wafter is not conducive to to such aims..

View attachment 674548

I think that's perfectly acceptable.

There is usually someone with a leather jacket and pony tail!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I think that's perfectly acceptable.

There is usually someone with a leather jacket and pony tail!

Thanks and lol - there's a robust man-bun lurking out of shot in that image, while if it's cold the only coat I've got that'll accommodate a suit underneath is an uncompromising caramel double-breasted lambskin trenchcoat :tongue:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
For the avoidance of doubt, the suit in question. Apologies for the poor photography - the house of Wafter is not conducive to to such aims..

View attachment 674548

To me that's just the job! Not too informal and not that spooky black formality. In my opinion, oxblood or dark brown shoes would go well, but black would be acceptable.

tom73

Guru
Wear what make's you feel comfortable this whole funeral "dress rules" like default black or nothing rubbish is just a Victorian hang up one of many around death that's long part it's sell buy date.
The shut in question looks perfectly fine to me and if someone has a problem with it then the problem is is with them not you.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks all - I really apprecate the encouragement / reassurance :smile:

While I get the argument for wearing what I want, I don't want to appear disrespectful in wearing something too casual / flamboyant.

@Accy cyclist - I agree; I did have a pair of oxblood brogues that I bought at the same time as the suit (charity shop score) however they ate my feet so had to go. IMO they've have gone very well had I been able to wear them. The moccasins aren't ideal but it's that or bust so they'll have to do. I'm on the lookout for a better pair of formal shoes but that in itself appears to be an enormous can of worm so unless I find a used bargain for next to nowt I doubt I'll have anything else by the time the funeral rolls around..

Top Bottom