Is a single speed not fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 3083393, member: 30090"]Is a single speed not fixed?[/QUOTE]
No. hth

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
[QUOTE 3083393, member: 30090"]Is a single speed not fixed?[/QUOTE]
I think a fixed is also a single speed, but a single speed is not necessarily a fixed. But to avoid confusion, a single speed that is not fixed is referred to as a single speed, and a single speed that is fixed is referred to as a fixed.

[QUOTE 3083416, member: 30090"]
Wrong. hth.[/QUOTE]

Really?

Fixed = no freewheel, you can't stop pedaling whilst the bike is moving.
Single speed = no gears.
In theory you could have a fixed bike with multiple gears.

Last edited:
[QUOTE 3083487, member: 30090"]So a single speed bike has no gears? So what gear am I riding then? Am I even riding a gear? I'm not quite sure.[/QUOTE]
yadda yadda yadda yadda pedant ok single speed = 1 gear single

[QUOTE 3083501, member: 30090"]...with a fixed wheel or freewheel. We got there in the end.:smile:[/QUOTE]
So fixed and single speed are two different bikes. Glad we sorted that out for you.

[QUOTE 3083521, member: 30090"]Try again, I've never disputed that they are two different bikes of course they are two different bikes.

Fixed and single speed are not two different bikes are they Fool? [/QUOTE]

Make your bloody mind up. Like what you did with the "Fool", however miss placed

Reactions: 4F
Sincere apologies to the OP.

[QUOTE 3083544, member: 30090"]

Referring to a single speed bike with a freewheel as a 'single speed' is factually incorrect [/QUOTE]

Which fact is incorrect?

Single speed bikes with a freewheel are universally known as Single-speed.

[QUOTE 3083544, member: 30090"]I

you can also get single speed bikes with a fixed wheel.[/QUOTE]

Which are universally known as Fixed

But the next time you are down the Ferkin and Feckit with your pals from the MG owners club with their anoraks and adenoids please feel free to tell them you are riding a single speed with a fixed wheel on a flip flop in case you fancy a change!

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Must try and track down one of those Sunbeams with a bottom bracket gear just to add to the confusion:tongue:

[QUOTE 3083574, member: 30090"]Which is incorrect as single speed bikes can also run a fixed wheel.

''Fixed'', fixed what?[/QUOTE]

As mentioned. The name 'single speed' generally implies a 1 gear bike with a freewheel hub and 'fixed' a 1 gear bike without a freewheel hub.

Apologies if you're new to cycling or this planet, or slow.

Top Bottom