Is a single speed not fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
image.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Anyhow, single speeds aren't single speed, are they? They go faster or slower. That's more than a single speed, by my reckoning.

On the other hand, in French it can be single speed, because they use vitesse to mean speed and gear.

I hope I've clarified matters somewhat...

Acesand8s

Regular
As i understand the terminology is like this: a Fixie is a fixed-gear-bike-with-no-brakes, or, a fixed gear bike has a single ring and a single cog where the cog is fixed to the wheel. Yet there are fixed gears that are instead fixed to the wheel via a synchronizer and have interier hub gears, as far as a single speed it is abike with one ring and one cog or another set up where there is only one set resistance for the rider to pedal. But there are still some exceptions.

Acesand8s

Regular
Technically User is not correct regarding if it is the wheel or hub, ad a special hubed wheel is needed, yet that pretty much means the whole wheel since it is almost always faster and cheeper to just by a different wheel when the hub is not what you need than it is to completly re-spoke a wheel hub. And that hub is the difference, sort of. If you try to single speed a new road bike with verticle drops, HERE IS THE DIFFERENCE: a single speed is just getting rid of the shifting capability and keeping a little chain tension, but you can keep the same hub. But trying to put on a fixed hub wheel is a nightmare, because the reverse tension is extremely hard on the tensioner, if it is a spring or wheel hanger single speed kit, thus in these fixie conversions the solution is to add a horizontal drop kit of some kind or even mod the frame.

GrasB

Veteran
Must try and track down one of those Sunbeams with a bottom bracket gear just to add to the confusion:tongue:
There are various hub-gear & multi-speed crank hubs one could have that allows for more than one gear with a single chainring & single rear sprocket! ;)

You can even have a gear ranged hub which is steplessly adjustable between the top & bottom ratio (free wheeled)

Dan B

Disengaged member
My single- sprocket no-freewheel bike is ridden on the road, so to avoid confusion and engender clarity I refer to it as my "road bike"

Sharky

Guru
I only took my bike into the LBS to check the brakes and it came out fixed

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A single speed bicycle may have a fixed wheel, but, on the hand, might have a freewheel. A fixed wheel bicycle is usually single speed, but might not be, and cannot freewheel. Flip flop hubs are threaded to take a fixed cog on one side, and a freewheel on the other - thus the same bike might be either fixed gear, or not .......

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Fixed is fixed and single speed isn't, hope that clears the matter up :reading:

Top Bottom