Is a torque wrench really necessary ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That Draper tool is essentially a 1/2" drive breaker bar.

It's not suitable for a bike, being way too clunky.

Does anyone use 1/2" drive on a bike?
BBs are my most common use. Yes, it's just for a few big bits that need to be tight, but a tiny clicker won't cut it there. Many Shimano-spec BB sockets are ½" drive, as anyone who uses them should have noticed.

And my breaker bar is much longer!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
BBs are my most common use. Yes, it's just for a few big bits that need to be tight, but a tiny clicker won't cut it there. Many Shimano-spec BB sockets are ½" drive, as anyone who uses them should have noticed.

And my breaker bar is much longer!

That springy torque wrench would be useless for removing a 'stuck' bottom bracket, a job which in any event the OP is unlikely to want to do.

Which leaves, well, no use on a bicycle other than smacking a thief on the head with it.

The thirty quid Wiggle one is a decent buy.

mjr

That springy torque wrench would be useless for removing a 'stuck' bottom bracket, a job which in any event the OP is unlikely to want to do.
:headshake: I use the torque wrench to fit BBs, not to remove them!

The thirty quid Wiggle one is a decent buy.
:laugh: ...fine, if you enjoy buying or repairing torque wrenches several times while my two are still working fine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
:headshake: I use the torque wrench to fit BBs, not to remove them!

:laugh: ...fine, if you enjoy buying or repairing torque wrenches several times while my two are still working fine.

Are you seriously suggesting that springy Draper breaker bar thing has any practical use on a bicycle?

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

Hi cheers -

The torque wrenches i short listed were:
1. Icetoolz Ocarina - for portability: https://bikeshed.johnhoogstrate.nl/bicycle/workshop/icetoolz_ocarina_torque_wrench/
2. Someone recommended the Tekton because it's Nm range suits a Brompton bike:
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEKTON-24320-4-Inch-Torque-2-26-22-6/dp/B00C5ZL2EG
3. At the high priced end the Topeak d-torque because appranently it's more reliable in terms of calibration issues: View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-D-Torq-Wrench-Multifunction-Tool/dp/B002FPGZFM

Any comments welcome.

4. I also note the recommended wiggle xtools torque above: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-x-tools-essential-torque-wrench-set/?utm_source=affiliate window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=Skimlinks&utm_term=Skimlinks&utm_content=Sub+Networks
Does anyone know how reliable it's calibration is generally speaking, given it's a fairly low priced item ?

Out of the 4 above which would people go for here ?

cheers again
sp

Last edited:
If you have not been using key and wrench tools in your job you may doubt the amount of force you apply, if so use a torque wrench. Teng make a very good 5-25nm 1/4" wrench but then you need to have 1/4" drive bits and sockets or hex bits too. A friend owns a Wera 1/4" drive and its accurate to 3.2% as tested on the calibration bench at his work. You don't need Facom or Stahlwille for bike fasteners but you will want a calibration paper.
I use these for small stuff and they are very nice but you could buy something for a lot less and have the settings you need.

mjr

Are you seriously suggesting that springy Draper breaker bar thing has any practical use on a bicycle?
Yes, BBs, cranks and some wheel nuts but I know some people don't torque them up and enjoy wobbly cranks or crabbing wheels.

And it's a beam torque wrench, not a breaker bar. You do yourself no favours by suggesting you can't tell tools apart.

DRM

Guru
This is the one I just bought. Seems a decent enough device, although early days yet.
I've got one of those for use on my bikes, does what it's supposed to do, the other bigger ones I have are totally unsuitable for bikes as the torque settings don't go low enough, you've just got to remember to wind off the setting when you finish using it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, BBs, cranks and some wheel nuts but I know some people don't torque them up and enjoy wobbly cranks or crabbing wheels.

And it's a beam torque wrench, not a breaker bar. You do yourself no favours by suggesting you can't tell tools apart.

It's a tool alright, but not in the way you mean.

Do you ever see half inch breaker bars in use in a bike shop?

Not really, although my local shop has a long adjustable which they sometimes use to turn the hex on the bottom bracket tool.

I suspect that many mechanics with "sympathetically calibrated" hands are not quite as accurate as they believe but just get away with it.
I think your statement is correct.
I use a friends Norbar Pro-test to calibrate torque setting tools. At his workshop I have joined other suckers in guessing a torque, he hides the display from the contestant and has them try different values. A few people is not very representative but it seems most people are short of a few Nm, especially at settings nearing 100Nm. Trying to guess 4Nm using a 1/4" drive ratchet or tommy bar of usually 150mm length is a total guess and I have seen 1Nm to 15Nm when 4Nm was asked for.
People saying they can accurately guess torque settings are doing just that, guessing. I don't have any carbon parts and my old iron bikes are not so fussy. The only components that I would be careful not to overtighten are threaded frame brazeons.
There used to be some horrendous after market brake hardware made from titanium, Ergal and Zicral (7075 family) for Campagnolo, E.T.A and OMAS if I recall correctly. A customer at Harry Hall had a bag full of such junk fitted by the mechanic who managed to strip the alloy brake nuts, he was used to assembling steel components.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
The draper bar one I have certainly fills a draw, I still cant remember what i bought it for 15 years ago, maybe for a motorcycle?

Top Bottom