Is a wattbike worth the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
I’m looking to by an exercise bike to use when the weather turns or I just don’t have the time for a ride, I was looking to get something for the bike to fit on and then the wife said She wants to use it as well’ 😟 we both know she won’t but....
So I’ve been researching them, I know nothing so all help appreciated, I am a keen enthusiast not a super fit or even a fit man wanting to smash 100 miles out on a bike, It would be more like a couple of hours 30 miles or so.
I’ve seen a Nordic Track GX 5 2nd hand for £200 but reports they are poorly made, is the wattbike worth £1000?
advise please

jr

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's a serious piece of kit at £1k, which is cheaper than I paid for my Tacx Neo - which I've used frequently for 3 1/2 yrs.

I see the value ^_^ big difference with the wattbike is the relative ease of setting a new position for other riders

CXRAndy

Guru
I’m looking to by an exercise bike to use when the weather turns or I just don’t have the time for a ride, I was looking to get something for the bike to fit on and then the wife said She wants to use it as well’ 😟 we both know she won’t but....
So I’ve been researching them, I know nothing so all help appreciated, I am a keen enthusiast not a super fit or even a fit man wanting to smash 100 miles out on a bike, It would be more like a couple of hours 30 miles or so.
I’ve seen a Nordic Track GX 5 2nd hand for £200 but reports they are poorly made, is the wattbike worth £1000?
advise please

jr

Dont know about the Nordic. The original Wattbike is a robust trainer, with accurate power readings, it has a mechanical resistance which you adjust with a lever by hand.

It will work with Zwift and others, but doesn't offer the automatic variable resistance of the Wattbike Atom, Tacx Neo Bike or the Wahoo Kickr bike.

For the odd occasion your wife will want to use it, opt for a decent wheel on trainer like the Wahoo Kickr snap.

Else plumb for the Tacx Neo- I know someone selling (unless he's sold it)

OP
OP
JRTemple

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
Dont know about the Nordic. The original Wattbike is a robust trainer, with accurate power readings, it has a mechanical resistance which you adjust with a lever by hand.

It will work with Zwift and others, but doesn't offer the automatic variable resistance of the Wattbike Atom, Tacx Neo Bike or the Wahoo Kickr bike.

For the odd occasion your wife will want to use it, opt for a decent wheel on trainer like the Wahoo Kickr snap.

Else plumb for the Tacx Neo- I know someone selling (unless he's sold it)
Any idea how much?

Good morning,

When the weather is really unpleasant I used to go a gym which has a Wattbike and LifeFitness 95c bikes.

The 95c has videos of routes through Frances and the resistance varies as you go up and down hills and this is the bike that I choose as I struggle with boredom as the Watt bike isn't connected to anything and has only a very basic display.

On this logic you may the find best value is a trainer and some decent screen app where you are at least vaguely enjoying the ride even if the Watt bike is "better".

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
JRTemple

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
Good morning,

When the weather is really unpleasant I used to go a gym which has a Wattbike and LifeFitness 95c bikes.

The 95c has videos of routes through Frances and the resistance varies as you go up and down hills and this is the bike that I choose as I struggle with boredom as the Watt bike isn't connected to anything and has only a very basic display.

On this logic you may the find best value is a trainer and some decent screen app where you are at least vaguely enjoying the ride even if the Watt bike is "better".

Bye

Ian
I found a Lifefitness 95c for sale at £2700 😙
I wasn’t looking at spending that much !!!

Any suggestions? I’m not a pro!

AndyMacca

Hi, I've got a Wattbike Atom which I use almost everyday, like you I'm not super fit or particularly serious* about cycling. * with the exception of the Cyclechat league on Bkool which is great fun (sadly in it's Summer break now). I've used it on Zwift and Bkool, TBH it works better on Zwift but somehow Bkool is more interesting as there's a great bunch of friendly guys in the league from here (dont tell them I said that!). My wife has used it too but she lost interest quite quickly but I'm still glad I got it, I've had it since November last year and prior to that I had a Tacx wheel on for a year which started my cycling journey really. The Wattbike is just so available, you jump on and go, the wheel on was a bit of a faff ensuring the correct tension and comparable pressures, my results varied too much, with the Wattbike I can see much more consistency and any improvement I feel more confident is real rather than some temporary blip. Having said that the direct drive options would eliminate some of that just not the ready to go part but I've never had a direct drive so perhaps it's super quick.
If money's no object then the Wahoo bike is a better option but I'm still happy with my Atom and probably wont upgrade till something significantly better comes out.
I've used a standard Wattbike regularly in the gym but the interaction the Atom has with the apps makes it much more engaging.
I paid £1500 for mine and it's done over 3000 virtual km's now mostly on Bkool. You also need to factor in the £8-£10 per month for the apps but they are well worth it if you use it regularly.

GravityFighter

Über Member
Another Atom owner here, so my reply is slightly biased, but I think it's a great bit of kit. Easy adjustment, great interface with Zwift, Sufferfest, RGT and other third party apps, solidly built and no faff with swapping bikes. They need servicing every so often, but otherwise no mechanical adjustment / wear either.

The Version 2 atom is out now, which apparently has better shifting on Zwift and a couple of other minor updates. You can probably find a good, used Version 1 for under RRP on the various selling sites though - most are well-cared for so that would be my first port of call.

I never got on with turbos - I found being locked into one position gave me all sorts of aches and pains.

I haven't got a spare room- so it was set up in the garage.

Mine was a low end £250 smart turbo. So each time I put the bike on I had to calibrate the wheel - synch all the devices - it was getting like 45 minutes to set up.

Come lockdown I almost went the wattbike atom route - but then took the totally opposite route.

I brought a domyos bike 100 from decathlon £200. It's a spin bike ! - no power meter , no blue tooth, it won't work with zwift...

The big plus is - it's small and clean enough to fit in my bedroom - I just get on it- load a spin bike vid from YouTube - and off I go - it's worked better for me than the smart turbo & bike route. The thought of loading up the bike, checking everything is working ....urgggh ...not for me..

CXRAndy

Guru
I never got on with turbos - I found being locked into one position gave me all sorts of aches and pains.

I haven't got a spare room- so it was set up in the garage.

Mine was a low end £250 smart turbo. So each time I put the bike on I had to calibrate the wheel - synch all the devices - it was getting like 45 minutes to set up.

Come lockdown I almost went the wattbike atom route - but then took the totally opposite route.

I brought a domyos bike 100 from decathlon £200. It's a spin bike ! - no power meter , no blue tooth, it won't work with zwift...

The big plus is - it's small and clean enough to fit in my bedroom - I just get on it- load a spin bike vid from YouTube - and off I go - it's worked better for me than the smart turbo & bike route. The thought of loading up the bike, checking everything is working ....urgggh ...not for me..

My setup is permanently ready. I have a Neo 2, sat on my home built full length rocker board. I can and have ridden 5-6 hours non stop on Zwift.

That's nothing these days with riders doing 'Everesting' and 24 hours lockdown rides

My setup is permanently ready. I have a Neo 2, sat on my home built full length rocker board. I can and have ridden 5-6 hours non stop on Zwift.

That's nothing these days with riders doing 'Everesting' and 24 hours lockdown rides
That's what you need - I couldn't be doing with loading the bike onto the turbo each time.
Interesting about your rocker board - reviewer of the wattbike atom commented on how rigid it was .

AndyMacca

That's what you need - I couldn't be doing with loading the bike onto the turbo each time.
Interesting about your rocker board - reviewer of the wattbike atom commented on how rigid it was .
Yeah it's pretty solid which seems like a good thing until you go past an hour...

Haven't tried a rocker-board but if it makes longer rides easier then that's definitely worth a look.

Top Bottom