Is anybody else using Linux?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Nah, I'm happy with an Ubuntu variant.
Me too. I can't recall which one but it's one of the LTS I believe 14.04. One day igotta try something else...

si_c

Guru
I'm now downloading Arch Linux, in my continued quest to try several different Linux distros. I thought I might as well, given that I haven't yet copied all my data from the backups back onto the PC, so now is a good time to try different distros of Linux. :addict:

How'd you find Arch? I've been using it as my Linux platform of choice for about 10 years now.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Today, I had one of those "you have to sort of know what you're doing" moments with Linux Mint, i.e. you have to be a bit geeky sometimes to use Linux. :crazy:

I got home, and there had been a power outage during the day. In fact, there was a previously-scheduled one that was planned for 8am to 4pm. I decided to keep Linux running, with a 1-minute cron job running to log timestamps to a log file, because I wanted the log file to show how long the power outage lasted. Last scheduled power outage (early this year), this approach worked really well. This time, unfortunately, something went wrong, and my /dev/sdb1 filesystem got corrupted.

After several reboot tries, I noticed the message instructing me to run "journalctl -xb" to view the system log contents. Upon inspecting the log, I found that /dev/sdb1 filesystem was corrupted. So I ran "fsck /dev/sdb1", and basically just said Yes to all prompts to fix broken inodes, block mismatches, etc. Then after a reboot, the PC finally started up properly, and all is normal again. :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Today, I had one of those "you have to sort of know what you're doing" moments with Linux Mint, i.e. you have to be a bit geeky sometimes to use Linux. :crazy:
Not really. With a seriously-corrupted filesystem, you could still always take the Windows-style solution and reinstall and restore from backups. Linux just gives you another option if you're willing to search the fine web and investigate a bit.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Not really. With a seriously-corrupted filesystem, you could still always take the Windows-style solution and reinstall and restore from backups. Linux just gives you another option if you're willing to search the fine web and investigate a bit.
It wasn't seriously corrupted, just enough to prevent it booting up, so a reinstall would have been completely overreacting. At least Linux gives you the option of doing this. Yes, I know a technical novice could install and use Linux, but when things go wrong, they tend to be a bit lost, and choose the reinstall, effectively using a sledgehammer to drive in a pin. Or they just go back to Windows.

albion

Guru
Trouble is, Windows has changed out of all recognition. And now it spies on you.

So does Google. The only problem with new Windows is that, for consumers, it is an advertising machine.
But look at the Android Chrome browser, it is now near full lockdown with setting forever going missing.

A main problem with Windows is that it is deemed too dangerous to connect to metered tethering,it being near fully under the remote update control of Microsoft.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had the oddest problem with Linux Mint 18. After a resume from suspend-to-RAM, the sound wasn't working. After much interweb searching, trialing of various command-line utilities, and some swearing, I finally found a way to restore sound. It was this simple: open the main volume control bar from the taskbar, and simply move the volume slider a little bit!
Why that worked, I don't know. :banghead:

Anyway, all's good again, and I can listen to another CD that arrived in my letterbox today from Amazon: the Sugarcubes CD "Life's too good'. :music:

D

Deleted member 1258

I had the oddest problem with Linux Mint 18. After a resume from suspend-to-RAM, the sound wasn't working. After much interweb searching, trialing of various command-line utilities, and some swearing, I finally found a way to restore sound. It was this simple: open the main volume control bar from the taskbar, and simply move the volume slider a little bit!

Anyway, all's good again, and I can listen to another CD that arrived in my letterbox today from Amazon: the Sugarcubes CD "Life's too good'. :music:

A few weeks ago my power supply quit perminately, when I got the computer back from the shop with a new power supply I'd got no sound. Downloading the Alsa mixer showed the sound had been muted and it was as simple as unticking the box to restore it, I thought I might have to take it back to the shop.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

I think I've had similar, never seem to get to the bottom of it.

Top Bottom