Is anybody here a Gas heating engineer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
If you bleed radiators, make sure you do it when system has been off for a while... you divven't want hot watta spewin' oot aal awa' the place, like!
Ping this to Graham56. He knows his gas plumbing and stuff!

Abitrary

snorri said:
Think of it like a good belch, reduces the pressure.:ohmy:

Pressurised systems require pressure to work. It's like bicycle tyres

I'd go with bleeding first before starting to lift the floorboards...just in case it is an airlock - at least that's only a 10min job and will probably improve radiator performance even if it doesn't stop the banging! Is the banging radiator the last on the circuit?

Abitrary

Bigtallfatbloke said:
ok...so isnt htere some kind of divining rod i can get that tells me where the offending pipe is?

Has this stopped yet BTW? I get it as well, but I notice it tails off after the coldest weather.

Surely we've had that by now?

Dave5N

Über Member
Bleedin' Fnaar got it bleedin' wrong.

You need to do yer bleeding bleeding when it's bleedin' hot. Then the bleedin' air is where you want it so yer can bleedin' expel it.

Like.

Plan B, Fnaar? :ohmy:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dave5N said:
Bleedin' Fnaar got it bleedin' wrong.

You need to do yer bleeding bleeding when it's bleedin' hot. Then the bleedin' air is where you want it so yer can bleedin' expel it.

Like.

Plan B, Fnaar? :ohmy:
Oh dear... i thought you shouldn't do it when hot (matron) cos of the hot watta.
As for Plan B, well, Bill Withers was good for me! :angry:

what? muther****ercocksuckingsonofabitch?

yes

Fnaar said:
Oh dear... i thought you shouldn't do it when hot (matron) cos of the hot watta.
As for Plan B, well, Bill Withers was good for me! :becool:

Our heating engineers at work all say do it when it's cold (always worked for me) - and my landlord at uni scolded himself really badly trying to do it when hot...

graham56

Guru
Sounds as it`s the copper pipes expanding as they warm up, find out where, lift the floorboards and put some packing between the pipe and whatever its knocking against ( joist or the return pipework). A piece of rag/ underlay/ foam should do the job.
Good call Mickle.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I havent had a chance to start taking up the floor panels yet...anyway the mrs has decided that the day before Christmas eve is not a good time to re arrange the house, So it's still banging.

Is the banging radiator the last on the circuit?

No. It is the third last I think, either that or the third in line depending on which way the circuit goes. The boiler is at the end of the house in bedroom 2, it then goes to bedroom 3, bedroom 4 then bedroom 1 and then the ensuite and then the bathroom. I cant find the bleeding key at the moment, but I checked all radiators and they all work with no cool spots. Each radiator has it's own thermo valve which allows us to regulate the temerature of each radiator individually. The one that is banging tends to be turned off most of the year because we sleep with all the windows wide open. It is only in this last few days of the cold snap that we have put it on. It still bangs regardless of if it is on or off.

Its likely to be one of the long pipe runs rather than the T-off to the rad. New style tongue in groove green chipboard floor boards I expect. Youll be needing a circular saw then. Is it a fitted wardrobe?

Top Bottom