Is anyone here into geocaching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

akaAndrew

I stumbled across the world of geocaching by chance yesterday. It's like a 'hunt the thimble' or treasure hunt with a GPS; an excuse to go for a walk perhaps.

Googling this morning, I find there's a cache about 4km from me so I might, out of interest, go off in search. Seems like a harmless, albeit slightly geeky, pursuit.

got-to-get-fit

ive often fancied it.....for the kids of course. ahem

but did not know where to start or how to get into it?

longers

Legendary Member
Same as Smeggers, did loads but not done any for a year or so - going for a walk without the dog doesn't seem right- never had a GPS though, just used OS maps and the co-ordinates.

Fantastic way to explore somewhere, plot half a dozen on a map and set off to join them up by the shortest route on foot, it took me over very familiar ground from different angles.

I did meet a couple of geeks doing it once :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
There's one at Froggatt - with a whale related name that escapes me - possibly Joshua something - 5 stars for terrain. Apparently you're likely to surprise the odd climber or two while finding it.

I did look for the ones with the most difficult terrain.

Some good ones based around the SK13 postcode.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a mate who is into it. He has created quite a few geocaches around the Hebden Bridge/Mytholmroyd area. He likes to take his stepkids and their dog out 'treasure hunting'.

I went out for a stroll with him once to visit a couple of sites and was quite impressed with his 'geocache nose'. His GPS got us within 10 metres of the caches but I didn't spot them. He noticed signs such as unusual looking stones, or a small tuft of plastic bag sticking out from a clump of grass.

got-to-get-fit

User3094 said:
Get yourself an account here... http://www.geocaching.com/

Download some waypoints to your GPS.

Off you go.

Although admittadly geeky, it does get to you to some interesting places. Interesting features / landmarks off the beaten track on your doorstep.

Thanks Smeggers ......ill have a snoop at the site.

longers

Legendary Member
got-to-get-fit said:
so....whats the treasure .....can you keep it and if you do who replenishes it?

It's usually a bit of junk, think toys from crackers - good for the kids maybe.

You're supposed to replace what you take with something of higher "value" or worth.

Up to you if you want to bother with that side of things.

Took Nowt Left Nowt (TNLN) was my preference.

Graham O

ColinJ said:
or a small tuft of plastic bag sticking out from a clump of grass.

I don't have a problem with people leaving a clue to some local place, feature, point etc, but to leave plastic boxes all over the countryside is akin to littering. That may be simplistic, but one persons "treasure" is another persons litter.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Occasionally my mate found money in the caches; once he found a £10 note! As stated above - often there will be a collection of little plastic toys for the kiddiwinks. A good thing to leave would be something like a CD or DVD that you no longer want - worth picking up if you happen to like it.

Often there is a little notebook or a piece of paper that you can use to leave a message for other geocachers so remember to carry a pencil and perhaps some paper. You might want to leave a cryptic clue to where you've placed another geocache.

The cache will often be in a small sealed plastic container or tin. It ought to be waterproof and obviously it needs to be big enough to put a few bits and pieces in. It might be buried in the ground, hidden under a large stone or in a crack in a rock, or hollow tree (whatever).

OP
OP
A

akaAndrew

I didn't realise the treasure was necessarily anything of value, i.e. not something to be taken at all. I assumed you'd find the cache (whatever it was) and leave it for the next person... kind of like anglers put fish back. The thrill is in the finding rather than the prize.

I also thought the cache could simply be a mark on a wall, or somesuch.... yes, it encourages graffiti and vandalism too :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
Graham O said:
I don't have a problem with people leaving a clue to some local place, feature, point etc, but to leave plastic boxes all over the countryside is akin to littering. That may be simplistic, but one persons "treasure" is another persons litter.

True, but an object hidden out of sight with a purpose doesn't count as litter to me.

I remember the geocahing site and people on there encouraging the people who go out searching to pick up any litter they might find on their travels to and from the "cache".

I'm currently following the geocache of a friend no longer with us as it travels the world in his place. Before that I'd never heard of it but it looks good fun.

Top Bottom