Is better, always better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't like the overuse of CGI - too often something that is supposed to look exciting just ends up looking fake. If there has to be an explosion - blow something up! You want smoke - burn something. Sandstorm? Film one. If you want an actor to turn into a werewolf, er... use makeup and time-lapse photography, not CGI.

If you want a good example of what is crap about CGI, think back to the first time you watched Alien. Was the Alien scary? Too bloody right! Were you scared of the CGI aliens in Alien 3?

I feel the same way about 'wire-work'. I don't mind if it is so OTT that it isn't intended to look real, but when what is happening is supposed to be plausible but clearly defies the laws of physics - naah! If someone is shot with a shotgun at short range it would probably blow a big hole in them and might even knock them over. It wouldn't blast them 10 feet back through a window.

On this theme... I like computer games, but only ones that don't try to look realistic. I enjoyed the original Prince of Persia where I controlled a little cartoon character running around with a sword. I loved the first Lemmings. Modern 3D games do nothing for me. I start to get involved, and then the spell is broken by some obvious flaw. My stepdaughter played Max Payne from start to finish, but I stopped playing it after getting Max to run along the top of a wall with only one foot touching the bricks!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think SF redos (or even originals) are just in favour as multimillion dollar comedy dramas seem to have almost died off. Stargate SG-1 was pants, as was Battlestar Gallactica and Flash Gordon. Stargate Atlantis seems to get good reviews but never seen it. Sarah Connor chronicles is truely insane.

Blake's 7 was good because there was a few production & writing people who really knew what they were doing - David Maloney, Nation, Chris Boucher and a few good actors and characters- Paul Darrow, Jacqueline Pearce, Michael Keatings, the travis(s).

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Arch said:
No they weren't, not in the final episode. Blake was the only one we saw fall to the ground bleeding from presumably fatal blaster wounds, all rest went down in slow mo without a mark on them, so could have been victims of stun rays only, and Avon was left standing at the end, hopelessly outnumbered. He grinned, raised his gun he shot Blake with and the credits rolled. So they could still be alive.

Hmm, do I remember that in WAY too much detail?

Strange, I don't remember this at all. Shows how much I was disillusioned with the programme by the end.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
No they weren't, not in the final episode. Blake was the only one we saw fall to the ground bleeding from presumably fatal blaster wounds, all rest went down in slow mo without a mark on them, so could have been victims of stun rays only, and Avon was left standing at the end, hopelessly outnumbered. He grinned, raised his gun he shot Blake with and the credits rolled. So they could still be alive.

Hmm, do I remember that in WAY too much detail?

IIRC as the credits rolled you heard a sh1tsrorm of laser rifle fire. Given that Avon was encircled, surely one shot would have done the trick. So...what did happen?

And Servilan... yes yes yes OMFG yes.:angry: Pure evil, sadistic, cruel and heartless. One of the high spots of my early formative years, she was:blush:.

ColinJ said:
but when what is happening is supposed to be plausible but clearly defies the laws of physics - naah! If someone is shot with a shotgun at short range it would probably blow a big hole in them and might even knock them over. It wouldn't blast them 10 feet back through a window.

Along the same lines ... the recent Bond films seem to have him doing clearly impossible things, such as outrunning an explosion in a confined space or spending fifteen minutes underwater trying to get into a submarine from the outside. The old Bond films were far fetched, but at least featured Bond doing things which were actually possible, such as skiing really fast down a big hill while shooting at a baddie.

Top Bottom