Is black cycling gear dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Hello, this is only my 3rd post and first week of reading all the many threads and posts on Cycle Chat so i don't know if it's been asked but does anyone agree with me that dark cycle clothing(not counting shorts)..black, grey etc is dangerous to wear?
I drive to and from work in daylight and dark and i see many cyclists wearing black. Some even have no, or poor lights and some don't have any reflection on their clothing. As a cyclist i look out for other cyclists but some i don't see until i'm 20 yards or less away because they just aren't bright enough. I have many jerseys, plain and team ones, but i only wear flourescent ones, i want to be seen and i don't want to give some of those horrible motorists out there an excuse if they hit me that "he was wearing dark clothes, i couldn't see him"etc.
I want to be seen hundreds of yards down the road, not at the last few seconds where it might be too late. So to those who wear black, why do you want to be the same colour as the road?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
no more dangerous than a black car IMO... and aren't the roads more a grey colour?

This is a fairly uncontroversial topic.

I imagine the thread will die out after a couple of readers have added their approval and agreement.

I was talking recently to a Police Driver who had someone pull out on him when he was in a Police Car with full headlights, blue / red strobes flashing and a siren

The problem is not what you are wearing or how visible you are,but whether the other person looks, sees and acts appropriately

Darren862

I don't think the colour you wear really makes much difference with some drivers. I was on my motorbike, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so I could turn right. There was a guy waiting to turn right from the road I wanted to join. I was parked right in front of him. Now, I'm a big bloke on a big motorbike wearing a bright yellow jacket but, I knew he hadn't seen me so I chose I slightly smaller gap than normal to exit my road. I'm glad I did because he chose the same gap! He spun his wheels coming out of the junction. He then saw me and panicked. He kept his foot on the throttle but turned the wheels to avoid me (and he did avoid me). He drove straight into a wall. Thankfully there were no pedestrians on the path he mounted. So I don't think it's how visible you are so much as its how blind some other road users are.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

potsy

Rambler
Extremely dangerous, Hi viz should be worn at all times :whistle:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I don't see the need for a motorist to have to see you from several hundred yards away. What roads are so straight and clear for the line of sight to be in existence anyway? Driving at a reasonable speed and paying a reasonable amount of attention, they should be able to avoid randomly crashing into you, regardless if you are wearing a high-viz pantomime cow outfit or a plain black t shirt.

Yes I know cows aren't high-viz, it's just an example or an eye catching bit of clobber.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I often think when I read these stories of motorists crashing into trees that the tree really ought to have been wearing hi-viz.

Probably didn't have lights either.

d.

Recycler

clip clip , why do you want to be the same colour as the road?

I don't think that black is dangerous as such, but I'm convinced that it isn't as visible as hi viz or bright colours. However, you'll find that this has been discussed once or twice before!!

Many don't like Hi Viz. They think that it doesn't look "cool".
Many don't like Hi Viz. They don't want to be told what to do by "them"
Many don't like Hi Viz. They believe that it is seen so often on our roads that it is a kind of "urban camouflage".
Many don't like Hi Viz. They point out that, at night, it is no more visible than any other colour.
Many don't like Hi Viz. They believe that "real" cyclists don't wear it.
Many don't like Hi Viz. They point out that, if you are driven into, the driver should have been looking and their broken bones are the fault of someone else.

All the above, and other reasons, are given. It is fair enough, there is no obligation to wear Hi viz and it is up to the individual. Do what suits you.

This post may attract a few comments, but this is only an internet forum. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom