Is C+ still worth buying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I will probably continue to subscribe to it but it has become very roadie oriented. All the other stuff seems to be tag ons. As Dave5N points out, there is an awful lot of very lazy journalism in it. There are a couple of bike mags here in Germany which are probably what C+ should be. They do good background articles where e.g. they visit a factory where certain components are made and do an in depth article on production methods etc. They also do much more on non-roadie specific stuff.

Dirty Des. Owner of the Daily Express (I believe), crusader for family values (via said paper) and proprietor of vaious, er, adult (or even Special Interest) publications.
I've gone off C+ too. When I bought my first copy over ten years ago, there was an article about how to build your own rechargeable lights. Right up my street. I stopped buying it when every issue became much the same and al the featured equipment was either stuff I wasn't interested in or stuff I couldn't afford.

Right on - I find the CTC mag is going the same way. Try to appeal to everyone and you end up with a publication that tries to cover expensive high-tech carbon thingummys, commuting on junk bikes, and touring routes in North Wales - all of them badly. A lot of readers must find cycling magazines irrelevant to their interests or their pocket, or they would sell better.

simonali

Guru
Andy in Sig said:
...but it has become very roadie oriented.

This is true. One of the good things about the mag some years ago when it started was that it featured folders, MTBs and suchlike, but it is very samey nowadays.

Despite Dave5n's (ignored) smut reference, I still maintain that their website has all the kit reviews you need on it and I'm sure the letters page is more than covered by the forums we all know and love, so the only reason to buy it would be for the adverts! :sad:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It sucks a very large one. Overpriced "this is good value" roadie kit, Paul Vincent on virtually every cover, terrible proof-reading.

Renard

I used to subscribe, bought a copy a couple of months back and have to say it didn't whet the appetite to buy again.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm thinking of subscribing to Velovision instead. It seems more in tune with the things that interest me - utility cycling and the whole 'bike culture' thing.
C+ is more in line with things I can't possibly afford.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I subscribed back in the Autumn to go along with my Cycling Weekly - and got the Blackburn Carbon Airstick - so worth the annual fee. - I enjoy their reviews, as it keeps me in touch with what's out there - not that I have any of it... with my bikes being of 'retro' standard these days.... Where are the reviews of cheaper clothing from the likes of Lusso etc.

Haven't seen many reviews of cheaper bike clothing. There seems to be an assumption that the 'average' cyclist has a reasonable amount to spend on better quality gear. When I look at most of the gear that gets reviewed, I'm not sure I would choose to buy it if I could afford it!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have issues (geddit?) with C+ and I've written to them and posted in BR Office but they tend to reply with a snotty defensive response of self-justification.
However in their defence it is difficult to write something new and fresh for every copy and after a couple of years subscription I think I've read every review, tech guide etc that I want to. I'm also clever enough to plan a ride of my own making from a map if I go to another part of the country.

redcogs

Guru
Cycling+ has followed a well trodden path of many magazines. They begin by hooking people in with interesting, practical and informative and often critical articles with broad based appeal during the early period, but then they begin to chase the big bucks, which shifts the focus away from the 'grassroots' which sustained and allowed development, and then, before we even notice, the character of the magazine has been transformed into just another rag with only one purpose; that of urging us to go out and purchase the shiniest lightest fastest coolest piece of technology available. We've seen the same process so often in so many fields of interest that it has become boring to have to refer to it.

i stopped buying Cycling+ about three years ago, finding that there is far more of interest available from many more honest contributers here on the forum.

Van Nick

I wonder if their readership numbers are down, because they have a voucher in this month's magazine for something like £2.50 off the price of next month's issue.

domtyler

Über Member
It is just the same every month, I am still subscribed 'til the end of the year, already paid for. I will most definitely not be renewing though, it generally just goes straight into the recycling without being taken out of the plastic wrapper.

NickM

Veteran
rich p said:
...I'm also clever enough to plan a ride of my own making from a map if I go to another part of the country.
What, you mean you actually have some gumption? Then you're probably not part of the "target demographic" :sad:

TheDoctor said:
I'm thinking of subscribing to Velovision instead. It seems more in tune with the things that interest me - utility cycling and the whole 'bike culture' thing...
I was given a Velovision subscription for Xmas. It's a pretty good read, in my view, and worth the money. Although it only comes every third month, it is a real pleasure to receive. And it lasts several days, whereas all other cycling magazines can be got through in half an hour.

Chris James

Über Member
I like Cycling Plus.

However, up until the advent of Bike Radar I never really thoguht of it as a road bike mag. It seemed to cover touring and utility cycling, at least a little bit.

But since Bike Radar it is obvious that C+ is positioned as a road mag for Future and the recent content seems to bear that out, in particular the recent obsession with cyclosportives. Given that wannabe racing on a full carbon speed machine isn't my thing then it is inevitable that parts of the mag will no longer appeal to me much.

Having said that, I think all magazines have a finite life cycle for any reader. There is only so much you can actualy say about cycling, the point of cycling is to do it and if you want maintenance tips then it is cheaper to just buy a book.

In the same way if you look at hillwalking mags like Trail and TGO then they just keep reviewing waterproofs and boots (plus crampons and ice axes for the Christmas edition)and mapping out 'classic' routes in North Wales. Great for a beginner but a bite boring if you have a susbcription for more than one year.

Keith Oates

Janner
I used to get C+ brought out to me by friends from the UK that worked with me and made regular trips back to the UK. That source stopped and so I've not seen one for a few years but just today an old friend visited Shanghai and brought me a copy of the April Issue. I've not yet had a chance to read any of it so can't give an opinion but I was very pleased to get the issue. Perhaps as a roadie at heart and from the comments above I will enjoy the read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom