Is C+ still worth buying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Fab Foodie said:

He used to ring my Dad up for a chat, they had some old Army connection I believe.

girofan said:
The way to appeal to a wider readership of C+ is to have a photo-shoot of Victoria Pendleton with her kit off!! ;):thumbsup:
When you say 'wider readership' do you actually mean 'drooling middle aged blokes'? Perhaps a dedicated cycling magazine would take her more seriously than that....:evil:

Fab - Was your dad in his books at all? I've read and re-read them so many times.

Mortiroloboy

Chuffy said:
When you say 'wider readership' do you actually mean 'drooling middle aged blokes'? Perhaps a dedicated cycling magazine would take her more seriously than that....:evil:

Fab - Was your dad in his books at all? I've read and re-read them so many times.

Er, did you mean my Dad?

Not sure, but my Dad used to do this Indian Airborne (para) veterans magazine, it was something to do with that I believe, my Dad has read his books too , being a bit of a Goon Show fan, it was a big surprise the first time Spike called him up, they lanched into some impromtu goons sketch down the phone...Bizarre!

User259iroloboy said:
[/COLOR]

Er, did you mean my Dad?

Not sure, but my Dad used to do this Indian Airborne (para) veterans magazine, it was something to do with that I believe, my Dad has read his books too , being a bit of a Goon Show fan, it was a big surprise the first time Spike called him up, they lanched into some impromtu goons sketch down the phone...Bizarre!
Sorry, wrong Dad! :biggrin:
How splendid. Milligan is one of those odd characters. His books and humour, and to a certain extent the man himself, have been a huge influence on me. However, I can't help but think that he was probably not very pleasant in Real Life (tm).

Cathryn

Legendary Member
As ever late to this thread but I rather like the new C+ format. I think it reads really well. I don't even mind the ridiculously expensive products on review. It's like reading 'Vogue'. You know you'll never be able to afford all the stuff, and you know you don't really need it, but it's fun reading about it.

It is a VERY blokey magazine though. I'm happy to accept that it's more of a boy sport than a girl sport, but the gender bias is ridiculous!!!! And I do think they flipping need a girl on the cover though. All these testosteroney blokes on fake backgrounds. I'm seriously considering emailing them and putting myself and my bike Liesl forward for a photo shoot!!! I have a cute new Nike top to wear and a fabulous new scar that needs publicity :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cathryn said:
As ever late to this thread but I rather like the new C+ format. I think it reads really well. I don't even mind the ridiculously expensive products on review. It's like reading 'Vogue'. You know you'll never be able to afford all the stuff, and you know you don't really need it, but it's fun reading about it.

It is a VERY blokey magazine though. I'm happy to accept that it's more of a boy sport than a girl sport, but the gender bias is ridiculous!!!! And I do think they flipping need a girl on the cover though. All these testosteroney blokes on fake backgrounds. I'm seriously considering emailing them and putting myself and my bike Liesl forward for a photo shoot!!! I have a cute new Nike top to wear and a fabulous new scar that needs publicity :biggrin:
Worth a subscription I reckon!

Renard

Cathryn said:
And I do think they flipping need a girl on the cover though. All these testosteroney blokes on fake backgrounds. I'm seriously considering emailing them and putting myself and my bike Liesl forward for a photo shoot!!! I have a cute new Nike top to wear and a fabulous new scar that needs publicity :thumbsup:

I would pay to see that! :biggrin:

BTW does Cara Coolbaugh still feature in it? I am sure she has been on the cover.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
It is a VERY blokey magazine though. I'm happy to accept that it's more of a boy sport than a girl sport, but the gender bias is ridiculous!!!!
They used to have a woman writer called Cara Coolbaugh (or something like that) but she seems to have disappeared. She seemed to be more into touring than pure road bikes, and also did lots of reviews of women specific kit and bikes.

Perhaps there is a vacancy for Arch or Cathryn to fill?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dannyg said:
They used to have a woman writer called Cara Coolbaugh (or something like that) but she seems to have disappeared. She seemed to be more into touring than pure road bikes, and also did lots of reviews of women specific kit and bikes.

Perhaps there is a vacancy for Arch or Cathryn to fill?

Well, as I'm already working for an opposing mag, maybe Cathryn should take C+ (and knock it into proper shape, like only a woman can... ;) )

gavintc

Guru
C+ attempted a year or so back to feature on female road cycling. There was a couple of articles on WSD bikes and supporting kit. But, cycling is a male dominated sport and breaking into the other 50% of the population seems to be a tricky one. I wish there was more news and updates on our top female cyclists. They are certainly more photogenic than Mr Wiggins and his haircut. We should be proud of Nicole, Victoria et al and possibly regular photos, features and articles might encourage of a few more females to get out there.

In the meantime, I would be quite content to see some copy of lesser club level female cyclists and Cathryn's story (hopefully fully recovered from her horrible ski accident) would I am sure make a good article.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Cathryn said:

It is a VERY blokey magazine though. I'm happy to accept that it's more of a boy sport than a girl sport, but the gender bias is ridiculous!!!! And I do think they flipping need a girl on the cover though. All these testosteroney blokes on fake backgrounds. I'm seriously considering emailing them and putting myself and my bike Liesl forward for a photo shoot!!! I have a cute new Nike top to wear and a fabulous new scar that needs publicity ;)

Road racing probably is male dominated and as far as I can see C+ is dominated by road geeks. Touring and recreational cycling, however, has far higher levels of female participation but given the absence of people with an interest in these activities at C+ it may be that the mag is doomed to be male dominated.

Top Bottom