Is car radio theft even a thing anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just been to the supermarket in my old Landrover and against my better judgement decided to leave the removeable radio front on rather than walk around the shops with it bulging in my pocket while I did my shopping. Just to put this into perspective, see the picture below. While the side canvas isn't currently rolled up, the rear is open and there is nothing to stop someone climbing in via the back and getting into the drivers seat. With that in mind, I rarely lock the doors, what would be the point?
1678193976624.png

Anyway, having grown up in the outskirts of a large city (Manchester) through the late 80s and 90s, I have experienced first hand the hurt of having a locked car disappear and also the mess made from broken glass and roughly damaged dashboard when radios are taken. Probably lost radios that way 3 or 4 times at least, and not high end stuff either, just reasonable 'entry level' budget stuff.

Car crime seems to have moved on once the 90s 'Joy Riding' boom died off and most cars started having integrated ICE that was less easily refitted or sold on. Car theft seems to be purely targeted at complete car removal with keys so it can be used for other crimes or passed through a hi-tech (or maybe not) system of ringing/cloning/resale meaning only high value or performance cars are targeted?

I guess my question is, do I really need to be worried about someone ripping my dash apart to get the radio in this day and age? It's a £100 radio but now several years old. I know you can never say never, but is the fear of the crime now worse than the crime and is it time I need to adjust my old school urban security instincts?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd be more worried about the Land Rover going with the radio front left behind ! It's probably worth quite a few bob in parts.

Just been to the supermarket in my old Landrover and against my better judgement decided to leave the removeable radio front on rather than walk around the shops with it bulging in my pocket while I did my shopping. Just to put this into perspective, see the picture below. While the side canvas isn't currently rolled up, the rear is open and there is nothing to stop someone climbing in via the back and getting into the drivers seat. With that in mind, I rarely lock the doors, what would be the point?
View attachment 680726

Anyway, having grown up in the outskirts of a large city (Manchester) through the late 80s and 90s, I have experienced first hand the hurt of having a locked car disappear and also the mess made from broken glass and roughly damaged dashboard when radios are taken. Probably lost radios that way 3 or 4 times at least, and not high end stuff either, just reasonable 'entry level' budget stuff.

Car crime seems to have moved on once the 90s 'Joy Riding' boom died off and most cars started having integrated ICE that was less easily refitted or sold on. Car theft seems to be purely targeted at complete car removal with keys so it can be used for other crimes or passed through a hi-tech (or maybe not) system of ringing/cloning/resale meaning only high value or performance cars are targeted?

I guess my question is, do I really need to be worried about someone ripping my dash apart to get the radio in this day and age? It's a £100 radio but now several years old. I know you can never say never, but is the fear of the crime now worse than the crime and is it time I need to adjust my old school urban security instincts?

I would be more concerned about them nicking the actual motor, my missus had an old Daihatsu Sportrak for years until someone decided to have it off the drive.

It was found next day completely wrecked and up to its axles in some waste ground, scumbags took it just for the hell of it.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would be more concerned about them nicking the actual motor, my missus had an old Daihatsu Sportrak for years until someone decided to have it off the drive.

It was found next day completely wrecked and up to its axles in some waste ground, scumbags took it just for the hell of it.

Indeed. Older cars are a soft target. My 205 has been the victim of attempted theft on a number of occasions with damage to the driver's door frame on one occasion. On another someone had attempted to force the door lock and on another occasion, an attempt to smash the steering lock.

I took to using one of those steering wheel locks and if I was leaving it somewhere dodgy, I often unplugged the power supply to the coil.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm aware of the stealability/breakability of a Defender. Keeping to the point & OT, are car radios still being stolen?

Can't see many buying an old radio from some geezer 'down the pub' or more up to date, who would buy a second hand radio of mediocre standard and dubious condition from eBay?

D

Deleted member 1258

Can't remember the last time i heard someone say they'd had their car stereo stolen... but it did seem quite common last century.

I think you're more likely to have the Catalytic Converter nicked than the radio.

I wouldn't say so. Most cars now have their own bespoke systems. The days of going into Halfords to look at a wall of stereos are gone I'd say.

Edit

Just though of something, my bespoke one has a security code to prevent it being disconnected and put in another car. However this system is useless as you can buy a code on Ebay to unlock it!

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Most modern cars don't even have detachable radio fronts any more, presumably because theft of car radios just stopped being a thing.

This might be a chicken & egg thing? Factory fitted radios became almost unstealable because they are integrated, application specific and often split into modules (display, interface, processor/amp) mounted in seperate locations so there almost isn't a 'radio' to steal. Car radios don't need security features because they are unstealable?

There is still a healthy aftermarket in radio upgrades (although the younger generation don't call them radios grandad! :laugh: ).

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Is car radio theft even a thing anymore?​

Given the vast majority aren't removal, no its not. and the ones like yours with a removal front are so old fashioned they have no resale value anyway.

Top Bottom