Is cyclists allowed on the motorways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
:laugh::laugh:

Sharky

Guru
Not quite sure which road you were on, but the approach road to the Dartford tunnel is technically not part of the M25. I think from the A2 junction to the tunnel is just an "A" road, so would not be illegal to ride on. But that section is just like the rest of the M25, so not advisable.

There are lots of quieter roads round Dartford, but stay away from the A2.

Which points do you cycle between?
There are always people on the forum who will know the area and be able to advise you which roads are suitable and which ones to avoid.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Which points do you cycle between?
There are always people on the forum who will know the area and be able to advise you which roads are suitable and which ones to avoid.
I dont have fixed routes ... just practicing long distance routes for upcoming L2p challenge

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Not quite sure which road you were on, but the approach road to the Dartford tunnel is technically not part of the M25. I think from the A2 junction to the tunnel is just an "A" road, so would not be illegal to ride on. But that section is just like the rest of the M25, so not advisable.

There are lots of quieter roads round Dartford, but stay away from the A2.
I was returning to london from somewhere near dartford

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would suggest you get some cycle training and read said publications mentioned earlier before you get yourself injured. The roads aren't for folk that haven't got a clue.

I would suggest you get some cycle training and read said publications mentioned earlier before you get yourself injured. The roads aren't for folk that haven't got a clue.
+1
You need the skills to know which roads are safe to ride on and how to safely negotiate the numerous permutations of road layout and traffic conditions on your chosen roads.
If you are looking to do longer distances look at routes that take you away from the major conurbations. Maybe use the train to get away somewhere more rural. Learn to read maps, plan your route. Check out approaches to junctions on Street view so you know where to postion yourself to be safe.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Bhitucyclist I Googled what your username means ^_^
I'm a bhitu cyclist too :laugh:
If you don't want to end up like the ghost in the cartoons, stay away from busy roads, get some UK adult cycle training before your long ride, actually, no, get some training right now!
All the best!

vickster

Legendary Member
If you live in Hammersmith

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/cycling/cycle-training-and-maintenance

FREE 1-2-1 cycle training for adults
Free 1-2-1 cycle training is available for adults living, working or studying in Hammersmith & Fulham. The sessions deliver private tuition in safe, confident road cycling and are arranged at a date, time and place to suit you and are tailored to your level of experience. See some glowing testimonials at the bottom of this page.

We take a £5 payment by PayPal on booking, which is refunded when you complete the training that you have booked. This is to deter people from booking then not attending.

• a two-hour one-to-one cycle training session for anyone who lives, works or studies in the borough
  • bikes can be provided for complete beginners
  • female and male instructors will train anywhere in Hammersmith & Fulham
  • possibility of lesson for adult with child, eg to learn how to cycle safely to school with your child.
Basic cycle skills
Learn to cycle with a free session tailored to you. You'll practice in a safe, off-road environment with a fully qualified instructor. In a session you'll learn the basics, build skills and gain confidence to navigate around your local area.

Urban cycle skills
Improve your cycling skills with a free session tailored to you. You'll start in a safe off-road environment to refresh your cycling technique and develop new skills before moving on to practice on quiet roads. Your instructor will support you throughout to help you cycle with more confidence.

Advanced cycle skills
Perfect your cycling techniques with a free one-to-one session from a fully qualified trainer. Improve your performance when dealing with complex junctions, heavy traffic or cycling at night and receive assurance that you are cycling efficiently and effectively.

and also if you're riding alone, learning some basic bike fixing skills might be useful

FREE bike maintenance courses
We run free cycle maintenance courses for people who live or work or study in Hammersmith & Fulham, because basic knowledge about how to maintain your bike is essential for keeping your bike roadworthy and staying safe on the road. We don’t want people giving up cycling just because they don’t know how to fix their first puncture!

Choice of venue: Cycle maintenance courses are held at:

• the Macbeth adult education centre in Hammersmith - course details and booking information
  • the Bikeworks base in Maxilla Walk (access via Landsdowne Close) W10 6NQ - further details and online booking can be found on the Bikeworks website. We take a £5 payment by PayPal on booking, which is refunded when you complete the training that you have booked. This is to deter people from booking then not attending.

Top Bottom