Is cyclists allowed on the motorways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
How do you know you were on the M25. What large blue signs did you see between slip roads? The M25 won't take you to London just send you in an infinite loop.
The roads coming off the bridge are probably signposted M25/London, expecting london traffic will leave the m25 in a mile and join the a2.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Thanks for all the fantastic tips.. i have been cycling inside london for quite a few years.. the usual commuting to work and wondering around. All fine with that. All the links had great info that i will use.
But this year i am practicing for l2p so having to do longer practice rides ... which staying within london becomes repetitive and boring..so looking to up my road sense when i venture outside london. I usually just follow the road and after a few hours turn back to find my way home.. not great with reading maps hence making all these mistakes of getting into wrong roads. I think i need to learn reading maps better.
Any tips on that welcome

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you considered joining some cycling club rides which will be longer and quicker?

You could plan routes on a website like Ride with GPS and then download to your phone (there are also plenty you could borrow to adapt from that site or Strava or cycle-route.com etc)

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Have you considered joining some cycling club rides which will be longer and quicker?

You could plan routes on a website like Ride with GPS and then download to your phone (there are also plenty you could borrow to adapt from that site or Strava or cycle-route.com etc)
Yes thinking of joining a club ... did a few with dirty weekend last year. But they are a bit more advanced than myself.
Looking for a club for slower cyclists

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

If you live in Hammersmith

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/cycling/cycle-training-and-maintenance

FREE 1-2-1 cycle training for adults
Free 1-2-1 cycle training is available for adults living, working or studying in Hammersmith & Fulham. The sessions deliver private tuition in safe, confident road cycling and are arranged at a date, time and place to suit you and are tailored to your level of experience. See some glowing testimonials at the bottom of this page.

We take a £5 payment by PayPal on booking, which is refunded when you complete the training that you have booked. This is to deter people from booking then not attending.

• a two-hour one-to-one cycle training session for anyone who lives, works or studies in the borough
  • bikes can be provided for complete beginners
  • female and male instructors will train anywhere in Hammersmith & Fulham
  • possibility of lesson for adult with child, eg to learn how to cycle safely to school with your child.
Basic cycle skills
Learn to cycle with a free session tailored to you. You'll practice in a safe, off-road environment with a fully qualified instructor. In a session you'll learn the basics, build skills and gain confidence to navigate around your local area.

Urban cycle skills
Improve your cycling skills with a free session tailored to you. You'll start in a safe off-road environment to refresh your cycling technique and develop new skills before moving on to practice on quiet roads. Your instructor will support you throughout to help you cycle with more confidence.

Advanced cycle skills
Perfect your cycling techniques with a free one-to-one session from a fully qualified trainer. Improve your performance when dealing with complex junctions, heavy traffic or cycling at night and receive assurance that you are cycling efficiently and effectively.

and also if you're riding alone, learning some basic bike fixing skills might be useful

FREE bike maintenance courses
We run free cycle maintenance courses for people who live or work or study in Hammersmith & Fulham, because basic knowledge about how to maintain your bike is essential for keeping your bike roadworthy and staying safe on the road. We don’t want people giving up cycling just because they don’t know how to fix their first puncture!

Choice of venue: Cycle maintenance courses are held at:

• the Macbeth adult education centre in Hammersmith - course details and booking information
  • the Bikeworks base in Maxilla Walk (access via Landsdowne Close) W10 6NQ - further details and online booking can be found on the Bikeworks website. We take a £5 payment by PayPal on booking, which is refunded when you complete the training that you have booked. This is to deter people from booking then not attending.
I actually wrote to them for my council area, Never got a reply ...will try other training camps. Lets see

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes thinking of joining a club ... did a few with dirty weekend last year. But they are a bit more advanced than myself.
Looking for a club for slower cyclists
https://www.cyclinguk.org/local-groups

or you could try Breeze women's rides
https://www.letsride.co.uk/groups/breeze-bike-rides-london

Sharky

Guru
Feel it is time to confess - I know of two experienced cyclists cycling on motorways.

OK the first was me. I was riding a 10 on the Rainford bypass course. Now this was my local course when I was teen, so I know it very well, but in the years in between, they built the M56. The turn now goes round a huge roundabout and in my concentration, miss counted the exits and before I realised, I'd ridden 100 yds on the motorway. Sheepishly, I dismounted and walked back and rejoined the course.

Second was an old clubmate in the days when the motorways were new. He was returning from a race, with his bike strapped on the roof rack. He suffered a mechanical and was forced to stop on the hard shoulder. No mobiles in those days, so he was faced with a long walk to the emergency telephone. But he had a bike on the roof rack, so what did he do - he took it down and rode to the next emergency phone! Can't remember if he was caught by the police, but his argument was that pedestrians are not allowed on a motorway either and a bike would have meant less time spent on the hard shoulder.

icowden

Veteran
Another good way to find a long ride is to pick a SusTrans route and follow it:

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/map-ncn

For example Dartford way has National Route 1 which goes from Sadwich through Caterbury, Faversham Sittingbourne, Dartford, Woolwich, Hackney, Walthamstow, Harlow, CHelmsford etc all the way up to Edinburgh!

Alternatively once you get into London you have the Route 4 which follows the Thames path. If you can travel to south London, the route from Putney Bridge down to Windsor is lovely and mostly traffic free (although it can get a little off-road at Windsor).

The main thing is to try and plan your route first. Google maps isn't too bad for keeping you on the right route. As others have said, roads you can't go down are usually indicated. You definitely can't go on a Motorway and a few major A roads also have prohibitions. With a bit of planning you can usually follow a fairly nice, car free route.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Doesn't sound like OP was on M25 just the A road round Dartford way thankfully.

Agreed. No way he/she got on the M25 either north of south of the river at Dartford. Probably just saw the signs for the M25 and hit one of the A roads in Dartford. The A206 Bob Dunn Way for example which is pretty hairy at times for cycling. With the amount of traffic police based in the area due to the tunnel and bridge they would have been there like a shot and stopped them.

Top Bottom