Is cyclists allowed on the motorways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

Hi friends,
I am new to the forum. I have been cycling /commuting for a few years now. But must say i am not a pro and possibly dont know all the traffic rules that i possibly need to follow. So far i have been lucky! This satday i went for a long ride to dartford and onmy way back lost track of the cycling track. Saw the M25 to london and after a lot of doubt .. followed another cyclist on to the road. My god it was scary and i could not change lanes to get to the lane coming to london ... continued on the left side of the road and ended up closer to the dartford crossing... then found a diversion and entered the town and took a train back.
I am thinking is it allowed to ride on the motorway ? If yes are there tips that i could use to try again. If its allowed then i want to try again . Thanks and good to be part of the forum

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
No - cyclists aren't allowed on motorways. Nor are they allowed on some dual-carriageways if there is a no cycling sign.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

If the road signs are blue, pretty sure that’s a definite sign no cyclists allowed
What do you mean by that ? Where is the sign coloured blue? Usually the names of roads are always on green boards. Sorry i am not understanding

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

No - cyclists aren't allowed on motorways. Nor are they allowed on some dual-carriageways if there is a no cycling sign.
Hmmm the other day i took the flyover while returning from richmond to hammersmith... that road was an A road ... but then when you check routes in google map for cycling even A routes are also shown.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Thanks ! I was blissfully unaware of the ban on the A roads! Motorways i was kind of guessing! But it would have so much easier if it was allowed !
Does anyone here do a lot of rides on the national cycling tracks ?

Top Bottom