Is Easter as big as Christmas in your house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Christmas is the big one, with Christ being born and all that.

Easter is just to celebrate when he was locked in a cave and wasn't let out until he had invented a new commercial chocolate based holiday.

Unless my religious education is lacking...

Easter is far more important to Christianity. The point of Jesus was to die and redeem the population from sin, which is believed to have been completed by his death and resurrection. Christmas is just Jesus' birthday.

The way that the two festivals are celebrated have roots in festivals that pre-date the arrival of Christianity in Britain. So do many of the symbols. For example the eggs are symbols of new life and associated with spring.

Reactions: JtB

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's not a sphere, it's an ovoid [/pendant]

machew

Veteran
Easter is far more important to Christianity. The point of Jesus was to die and redeem the population from sin, which is believed to have been completed by his death and resurrection. Christmas is just Jesus' birthday.

The way that the two festivals are celebrated have roots in festivals that pre-date the arrival of Christianity in Britain. So do many of the symbols. For example the eggs are symbols of new life and associated with spring.
Eggs are a Jewish symbol of mourning (as eggs are the first thing served to mourners after a funeral). It is also there to remind us that life is round and never-ending...without beginning or end. Finally, it represents the birth of spring. So the Egg was first a Jewish symbol and then co-opted by the early Christians.

D

Deleted member 1258

Its just a long weekend, we used to get the kids easter eggs when they were small but they are all grown up now so we don't do anything special.

green1

Über Member
Christmas is the big one, with Christ being born and all that.
Christmas is not a Christian festival. It's a pagan festival (Yule) celebrating the passing of the winter solstice and the rebirth of the sun. It was just hijacked by the Christians.

BTW, If you read the bible Jesus was born in the spring or summer.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Cant believe people seem to have taken what I said without the required pinch of salt.

Stephenite

Membå
Easter is brilliant in Norway! After a long, cold, dark winter people are very glad for a few days holiday. (We get three days here.) Don't get me wrong I love winter - snow, skiing, slippy ice, i love it all and more than most. But after 5 or 6 months i start to think it's time now for another season. Now, this is where the irony comes in: What do people do? Most of them decamp from the towns and cities and move to the mountains and forests where there is yet more snow and more winter in store for them! And, i'm one of them.

To the answer the OP: christmas is bigger than easter in my house but probably only because of the bloody shopping.

It's not a sphere, it's an ovoid [/pendant]
bunch_smooth_hearts_pendant_lg.jpg

Surely you mean pedant :tongue:

Top Bottom