Is Freesat dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
We have had our Humax Freesat box for a good few years but I suspect that it has finally given up the ghost. Not a problem I thought, just go and buy another one, oh....wait a minute, maybe not then?

So what happened, what did I miss?? I know that All4 pulled away from Freesat in around 2018, so I guess that was the start was it?

But the bottom line is no more Humax Freesat boxes unless you get a basic one with no recording function. Seems to be all Freeview now, its seems like going back in time with Betamax and VHS, made the wrong choice as well.....doh!!

Our TV has built in Freeview and I have a USB stick plugged in the rear so that I can record programmers, but only one station at a time, and while its recording I cannot watch another station. So I suppose I need to get a Freeview box now, but with only one aerial lead can I split that and run one lead to the TV and one lead to the Freeview box?

I have a Ethernet cable connected direct to the router, which I assume I can still utilize with a Freeview box?

I also assume that the satellite dish is now redundant....:angry:

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a used one? Try AV forums

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Can I ask what is no doubt an ignorant question... I'm sick of paying for Sky- we have an old Sky HD+ box, which has a little wifi gismo that connects to our BtT wifi, plugged into the box but it doesn't appear to do anything, and a sky dish... I'm now paying £48/ month [incl VAT] and we don't have the sports channel or movie channels so it's really just the multiple record, play back and freeze/catch-up that we keep it for... is there a cheaper and simpler solution which doesn't need a load of set-up time and money? how much does a fire stick cost to buy and run [isn't that Amazon though?]

I hear that you can threaten to leave and they give you lots of extras for the same monthly cost but we don't want more things just a simpler system.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but it is related.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I don't have an aerial..cable only.
Cant think why Id need freesat.

Both TVs are smart "unlike the end user I might add":laugh:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Can I ask what is no doubt an ignorant question... I'm sick of paying for Sky- we have an old Sky HD+ box, which has a little wifi gismo that connects to our BtT wifi, plugged into the box but it doesn't appear to do anything, and a sky dish... I'm now paying £48/ month [incl VAT] and we don't have the sports channel or movie channels so it's really just the multiple record, play back and freeze/catch-up that we keep it for... is there a cheaper and simpler solution which doesn't need a load of set-up time and money? how much does a fire stick cost to buy and run [isn't that Amazon though?]

I hear that you can threaten to leave and they give you lots of extras for the same monthly cost but we don't want more things just a simpler system.

Just phone them up to cancel, they will offer you deals on your current package. Or just cancel and use the box to watch the free channels then get a fire stick or something for Netflix / Amazon Prime (or whatever on demand service takes your fancy).

To keep it 'cheap' with Sky you need to be on top of it - when your contract has elapsed you need to be on the phone to get a new deal or discount or you'll just roll on paying far too much. I renew my contract before it expires and they give me cheaper TV, broadband etc and any new offers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just phone them up to cancel, they will offer you deals on your current package. Or just cancel and use the box to watch the free channels then get a fire stick or something for Netflix / Amazon Prime (or whatever on demand service takes your fancy).
Indeed, this

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
We have had our Humax Freesat box for a good few years but I suspect that it has finally given up the ghost. Not a problem I thought, just go and buy another one, oh....wait a minute, maybe not then?

So what happened, what did I miss?? I know that All4 pulled away from Freesat in around 2018, so I guess that was the start was it?

But the bottom line is no more Humax Freesat boxes unless you get a basic one with no recording function. Seems to be all Freeview now, its seems like going back in time with Betamax and VHS, made the wrong choice as well.....doh!!

Our TV has built in Freeview and I have a USB stick plugged in the rear so that I can record programmers, but only one station at a time, and while its recording I cannot watch another station. So I suppose I need to get a Freeview box now, but with only one aerial lead can I split that and run one lead to the TV and one lead to the Freeview box?

I have a Ethernet cable connected direct to the router, which I assume I can still utilize with a Freeview box?

I also assume that the satellite dish is now redundant....:angry:
We're ditching Sky and going freesat, the official Freesat box is being manufactured by a different company than Humax now, can't remember the name but it's not important cos there's none available at the mo!

We're looking at getting one of these one of these http://www.technomate.com/products/TM%252d5402-HD-M3.html

Milkfloat

An Peanut

.:angry:

I would recommend picking up a BT Freeview+ box on eBay (made by Humax). This (assuming you have an aerial) will allow you to record 2 programs simultaneously and watch another, plus you have access to most of the catch up services and the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime. You do not need to be a BT customer.

To answer your questions - the aerial goes to the Freeview box and then you connect your TV to that (usually HDMI cable). No need to connect the TV to the aerial. Yes, you need an internet connection to the box for the catch up/premium services.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

For the price of one month get a Freeview+ box as I outlined above. Assuming you don't need the Sky channels Sky 1 then that will give you everything you need. remember you do need an aerial though.

Top Bottom