Is fruit juice good or bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like @Fab Foodie I swear by pork pies. When I get that tiredness-hunger feeling they make me feel better, and I can recall a few occasions when I've found myself absolutely flying after a pork pie and a drink. Purely anecdotal and meaningless, of course.

I'm glad to read in the thread above that these, along with my favourite cycling sandwich, peanut butter and marmite on granary, are not totally bonkers foods to choose.

In my bottle I use a sciency-wiency sports carb drink. I happened to try some once and found I liked it, so I've stuck with it.

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
I found this quote from GarryFettke ( Gary Fettke No Fructose) interesting.
From an evolutionary and survival aspect, fructose metabolism is very useful. In times of plenty when fruit was seasonally available (late summer) we could eat as much fruit (fructose) as we could find, it would keep us hungry, keep us eating and then conveniently metabolise it into fat for the leaner winter months.
And remember he is talking about whole fruit with all its fibre and not just the juice.
Relying on sugar for energy, whether that is honey, fruiy juice or what some think magical, jelly babies, creates spikes followed by a drop which is not good especially while riding. A balanced diet that has fat protein carbohydrate is best and fibre will slow the absorption so that you are not caight bonking.

jnrmczip

Last I checked most recipies are full of butter, brown sugar and golden syrup.

Never claimed they weren't but they are enjoyable. People make a massive deal out of eating no food is healthy if eaten to much or blended for that matter eat the things you like to eat just make it varied and you will be fine. And don't go over board with portion sizes jobs a good one.

subaqua

What’s the point
I found this quote from GarryFettke ( Gary Fettke No Fructose) interesting.
From an evolutionary and survival aspect, fructose metabolism is very useful. In times of plenty when fruit was seasonally available (late summer) we could eat as much fruit (fructose) as we could find, it would keep us hungry, keep us eating and then conveniently metabolise it into fat for the leaner winter months.
And remember he is talking about whole fruit with all its fibre and not just the juice.
Relying on sugar for energy, whether that is honey, fruiy juice or what some think magical, jelly babies, creates spikes followed by a drop which is not good especially while riding. A balanced diet that has fat protein carbohydrate is best and fibre will slow the absorption so that you are not caight bonking.
last time i was caught bonking i needed the energy to get over the fence away from her hubby ..............

ayceejay

Guru
I think you will find that my advice applies whichever version of bonking you are suffering/enjoying. If it is a prolonged comfortable ride you are after it is best to have access to a constant flow of energy rather than have it come in short bursts. Ask your friends wife.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Maybe he doesn't have any as seems to only be able to eat stuff prepared in a blender? Otherwise why not have solid food?mor some sort of other health issues?
Obviously a racer's diet :smile:
Where's that blender of mine? I want to do 47 miles in 3 1/4 hours too! :cry:

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Not a racer, just want to go as fast and far as I can. :smile: The reason I'm trying blended stuff is so I don't end up with a lot of chunky food sitting in my stomach before it gets digested, have suffered from that before. Although I concede that a pork pie and Guinness smoothie would be delightful on a summers afternoon.

Okay, so breakfast would be oats, milk and nuts, and maybe a creamcheese sandwich if I can find some bread that isn't too stodgy. And chorizo chunks to snack on.

I'm a fan of quinoa and lentils, and can eat a lot of them without feeling weighed down - good cycling food? With some olive oil and spinach stirred in, om nom nom.

Last edited:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
As long as you eat constantly you aren't going to trigger a spike and the subsequent low. The best food I;ve ever had on a ride were the bacon and egg rice cakes Allen Lim makes - they are tremendous http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-m...tion/articles/feedzone-rice-cakes-071712.aspx

ayceejay

Guru
77378876.jpg
As long as you eat constantly you aren't going to trigger a spike and the subsequent low.

This is a joke right?

pclay

Veteran
Those dips are not good. Basically you are pushing a sugar rush down you bloodstream and then your pancreas respond with a dose of insulin.

The last I heard is that insulin is not produced to process fructose. Isn't fructose the main sugar in fruit juicE?

ayceejay

Guru
FROM GARY FETTKE

Metabolism Summary
Fructose is selectively taken up by the gut and there are almost limitless proteins (GLUT 5) to allow it. These proteins are produced on an increasing rate depending on how long the fructose is made available. There appears to be no negative feedback. It is then metabolised by the liver in to free fatty acids which then go on to fat storage. Along the way it creates 'small' LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins) Cholesterol particles which are the harmful ones that get in to the blood vessel walls and cause atherosclerosis , increasing the rates of Cardiovascular Disease (CVD), Strokes and Dementia (Alzheimer’s).
Normal carbohydrate ingestion stimulates the secretion of insulin (immediate) and then leptin from fat cells (few hours to days) which takes away the hunger sensation and keeps it at bay. High levels of circulating free fatty acids appear to block the action of insulin and leptin in particular. This means you stay hungry despite the calories coming in.

united4ever

Über Member
I have a nutribullet smoothie each morning before my commute. Its mainly veg though: Spinach, celery, ginger and topped up with a handful of grapes or pineapple to make it palatable. Is this a good option for cycling.....only a 10 mile commute mind.......then crumpets and tea when i get to work so not a massively healthy eater here but is the veggie smoothie good for cycling on?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a nutribullet smoothie each morning before my commute. Its mainly veg though: Spinach, celery, ginger and topped up with a handful of grapes or pineapple to make it palatable. Is this a good option for cycling.....only a 10 mile commute mind.......then crumpets and tea when i get to work so not a massively healthy eater here but is the veggie smoothie good for cycling on?
Well have you passed out? If not, it's probably not doing you any harm

Sounds foul though. Porridge for me!

united4ever

Über Member
Not felt like passing out....taste is not as bad as it sounds. Just trying to get some veg inside me....could never eat all that stuff for breakfast but can neck it in a drink quite happily. I like porridge too but made with milk not water fir me.

Top Bottom