Is Garmin the only answer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
Is that the proper name of the app? When I search the first returned is Easy Route Finder which seems to sit on top of Google Maps?

For iPhones the app shows up as EasyRoute (no space) in the App Store, it doesn't use Google maps, I think it uses Mapinfo. There is another one called Easy Route (with a space), that's not the right one.

Broadside

Guru
No, you haven't misunderstood.
What I was referring to was the ability to do it all offline.

Currently, with Wahoo, you can create the route offline but to import it into the app you do need an internet connection, either data or wifi.
The advantage of using a cable to transfer the file to the unit is that no internet connection is required as the app is bypassed.

Of course, if you have an internet connection, you can use the "Take me to" functionality of the app, no need to go an external planner.

It is about the only advantage the Garmin has over the Wahoo units, in my (admittedly Garmin unfriendly opinion).
And it really only applies to those touring in places where internet connectivity is an issue.

You can connect a Wahoo to a PC or Mac and then manually drop files in to the Routes folder which are then available for use, almost exactly the same as how I used to load routes on to my Garmin Edge 800.

You can connect a Wahoo to a PC or Mac and then manually drop files in to the Routes folder which are then available for use, almost exactly the same as how I used to load routes on to my Garmin Edge 800.
Yes, I know that.
I was referring to on the road, where access to a pc might be an issue.

I think it's a big deal to be able to create a route on a phone, or tablet, transfer it to a gps unit and follow the route, all completely offline.
Currently, Garmins allow that through a cable, the Wahoos do not (unless you have a P.C. with you and Osmand is the only offline route planner that I'm familiar with - and it doesn't run on a P.C.!)

This is improbably easy with a Wahoo Elemnt. You can route plan with something like Strava or Ride With GPS and it appears on the Wahoo device by Bluetooth or WiFi.

The simplest route planner app for use while standing on the side of the road is Easy Route, I picked this up from DCRainmaker. Then you sync it straight across to the Wahoo Companion app and voila it’s on the device so you can ride immmediately.

So far I haven’t found reason to plug in the cable on the Wahoo Elemnt apart from to charge it. Everything is done by Bluetooth to your phone so you have ultimate flexibility while away from home.

Btw, I was previously a Garmin Edge 800 user, I had trouble free use for 5 years but the Wahoo Elemnt gives another level of flexibility, it’s brilliant.

Thanks for that.

The Elemnt is what I planned to go with until my 810 decided to take my threats seriously and stopped it's tantrums.

I downloaded EasyRoute yesterday and really like the interface. I didn't get as far as transferring the file to my 810 as I found it has a tendency to route along bridleways when using the bike and quieter roads settings. I'll play with it a bit more as sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling optimise settings.

I have been successful in planning on cycle.travel on my iPhone and then bluetooth transfer to the 810 via mobile Connect. I'm a bit of a cycle.travel fanboy as I find it's routing rules match the type of routes I like perfectly.

Edited to add, this post has been liked by the cycle.travel author. I'm never going to wash it ;-)

Last edited:
Yes, I know that.
I was referring to on the road, where access to a pc might be an issue.

I think it's a big deal to be able to create a route on a phone, or tablet, transfer it to a gps unit and follow the route, all completely offline.
Currently, Garmins allow that through a cable, the Wahoos do not (unless you have a P.C. with you and Osmand is the only offline route planner that I'm familiar with - and it doesn't run on a P.C.!)

Apologies for quoting my own post, but I want to correct the information.
I've just tried again (on a new phone, Redmi 6) and have been able to transfer a gpx file from my phone to the Elemnt unit via OTG cable with no need for internet access.

Not a big deal for those who plan their routes at home, or when data/internet is freely available. A bigger deal for those that want or need to be flexible in places where internet is an issue.

On the road I plan routes directly in the device itself. It's bit of a fiddle but if you have a paper map to hand and a good idea of the route before you start it's not actually difficult after a bit of practice.

I've done it successfully with Garmins 60csx and Oregon. You can do with the Garmin Edge touring, but I've never actually used this feature - I expect it's the same. I'd be surprised if you can't do it with wahoos.

On the Wahoo, you can use the "Take me to" functionality of the app (not great in practise) or create a route in another app/website and transfer that into the app. In either case you do need an internet connection.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The OP could consider an Ordnance Survey own brand device.

The OS Velo looks well-specced with full Landranger mapping, and a three-year subscription to OS Maps.

It's not clear to me what the benefit would be over and above having all the maps already, but I suppose you would be fully mapped up for the three years.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-velo-gps.html

L

I was describing planning a route with multiple intermediate points. This enables you to plan a route to your choosing via points of interest, lunch stops etc. This is easy enough to do directly in the devices I mentioned. While it's a bit fiddly with the small screen size it does mean you don't have to worry about transfer to the device, OTG cables etc.
That kind of functionality is not available on the Wahoo unit.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
Seconded

I can't comment on Wahoos as I don't have one, but I've used AA powered Garmins (76s, 60CSx, Oregon) for many trouble-free years. I currently use an Oregon, which is a bit like a fancy version of the etrex. I do have an Edge Touring, and while it works OK, and it gives me turn-by-turn beeps, which the Oregon doesn't, I just don't like it as much as the Oregon.

like the idea of the eTrex
i take it you can get mounts for the bike?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I still use a Garmin 1030 but a good friend (not on CC) has been using one for months and loves it. He said that the early firmware was pretty buggy but they've been updating it non-stop for months and he wouldn't go back to a Garmin now.

If it helps I use a Hammerhead Karoo and echo the sentiments above. The hardware is excellent, screen is superior to anything else currently on the market. The firmware is not quite there yet but has been reliable for some time now, they're just adding extra functionality with updates every few weeks.

The main problem Hammerhead have is trying to make good on the promises they made to early adopters who pre-ordered devices based on a theoretical featureset which they haven't been able to deliver yet. That said, I wouldn't swap mine for anything else available :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A heads up for Wahoo users, most probably know this but I didn't so I thought I'd share the info.

Open the app and the map on the first screen shows current location.

Tap the map and the screen opens up and the map can be zoomed, moved etc.

What I hadn't realised till today is this map shows the route you have followed to reach your current location. This has lots of potential uses and could be especially helpful for retracing one's steps if one has wandered of a planned route.

Screenshot_20181231-114133.png
Screenshot_20181231-114118.png

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have the Wahoo Bolt, Etrex 30X and Garmin Touring.

If you want something for navigating, recording your ride and acting as a cycle computer. There really is only one choice in my opinion. The Wahoo Bolt.

I used mine through Tuscany and tiny back lanes of Siena and Florence. It never goes wrong and doesnt lose connection.

I use my Wahoo on every ride and enjoy using different apps to plan new routes. The advantage of Wahoo is that you can plan detailed routes at the side of the road with your phone and send it to the Wahoo and ride the route. As opposed to riding where Garmin wats to send you.

Wahoo is simple to operate.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
I have the Wahoo Bolt, Etrex 30X and Garmin Touring.

If you want something for navigating, recording your ride and acting as a cycle computer. There really is only one choice in my opinion. The Wahoo Bolt.

I used mine through Tuscany and tiny back lanes of Siena and Florence. It never goes wrong and doesnt lose connection.

I use my Wahoo on every ride and enjoy using different apps to plan new routes. The advantage of Wahoo is that you can plan detailed routes at the side of the road with your phone and send it to the Wahoo and ride the route. As opposed to riding where Garmin wats to send you.

Wahoo is simple to operate.

do you get UK maps preloaded?

Top Bottom