Is Giant like Apple? Same price everywhere!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Whilst virtual window shopping, found a beauty: Giant Defy Advanced 2. Having looked all over net, price seems the same everywhere! £1299:00. Are Giant like Apple? Ipods are the same price wherever u look. Is it the same with these bikes?

vickster

Legendary Member
The new model? Yes quite possibly, Specialized control prices through their dealers too. However, there is nothing to stop you going to your local dealer and seeing what they can do, even if its a deal on peripherals

Last year's is reduced here (and possibly elsewhere)

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-defy-advanced-2-2015

A friend of mine is buying a Giant Propel from his LBS in the Tadcaster area and, although they are not discounting the bike, he is getting 20% of the bike's value in accessories, Garmin, pedals, shoes etc.

Graham

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You should be able to push at least 10% cash or 15% goods, even on a 2016 bike. My local will do 15% cash if you plead enough and that includes ordering in a bike.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Huge mark up on giant and specialized , someone whom works in Edinburgh Bikes told me so . Prices controlled however there are deals to be had ! Recently saw 500 quid of a crux down from £1500 ! So there are some really good deals !

Drago

Legendary Member
It would be unlawful for prices to be "controlled".

The pattern is simple. The new years model is announced around May, goes on sale August/September. Everyone wants it, demand is high and retailers can sell them easy, and there is no incentive to sell below RRP.

Come May the 2017 model will be announced, and despite not being available yet people will want the latest paint or bling and will wait until August/September, so retailers then start discounting to keep the existing model shifting out the door.

By typical retail standards the mark up over cost is generous if sold at RRP, but still not to the degree that a Rolex or Aston Martin would be. Giant, for all that, are still extremely competitive on the market for & spec, and the profit goes towards a huge R&D machine that gives us cutting edge technology and some superb bikes. It the likes of Spesh and Giant that push the market forward in terms of prices features, model development. If it were left to the like of Rubble or Dolan, who simply punt on off the shelf frames to the buyers choice of spec, then development would stagnate.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Of you say its like Apple, you might as well say its like McDonald's.
I chose Apple as an example as you can buy their products in independent shops, but the price remains the same wherever you go. As far as I am aware, McDonald's products are only available in McDonald's restaurants.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 4154476, member: 45"]I doubt there's a huge mark up on any new bike.[/QUOTE]
I bought a new 2015 model bike in November. Dealer was desperate to clear space for new year's stock. The bike was listed at £799. He offered it to me at £510. I tried to get him to do it at £500 but he showed me the paperwork to prove he would be making a £10 loss at that price. Fair enough.
I reckon that would be about 63% mark up at RRP.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4154476, member: 45"]I doubt there's a huge mark up on any new bike.[/QUOTE]

About 30 per cent for a current year bike at recommended retail price, depending on the deal the shop has with the wholesaler.

More than some other retail goods, but less than others.

KneesUp

Guru
As I understand it a bike shop can legally sell a branded bike at whatever price they like. However if they sell them at a price the manufacturer doesn't like, they may find problems when they try to order more stock.

Top Bottom