Is Gt85 safe on carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and hope you're all well..
Today I've been bike cleaning. The old steely Peugeot has had a good clean down and I've always found Gt85 to be brilliant at giving its old red bright paint work a real shine. It looks amazing now and feel reluctant to take it out tomorrow, but needs must .
After doing the Pug i turned my attention to the rather more expensive Specialized Allez.. At the moment its more of a house bike as I'm trying to keep it tidy by avoiding the filthy roads. It didn't need much of a clean but being somewhat OCD its has a good clean non the less. The forks on the Specialized though are made of carbon and was just wondering is it safe to use Gt85 on them to shine them up like the the rest of the bike.
All the best and many thanks for any advice on this,

Last edited:
Yes and fork singular.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I think most oils will degrade rubber compounds over time, but i would of thought by the time its taken an affect on a tyre it would of worn out long before with daily use. I used to run my old rover on veg oil years ago. That stuff was said to rot rubber pipes and seals but i never had any problems. I think it takes years for it to cause any problems.

This is a good point to be fair, a lot of people worry to a great extent about their carbon frames but forget they have carbonesque forks on their aluminium Allez etc and never pay them a moment's notice.

Globalti

Legendary Member
WD40, GT85 and other lubricants and dispersants are just light mineral oils, almost as light as paraffin, so they do evaporate quite fast, certainly well before they can penetrate the lacquer, then the paint and do any harm to the resin, if they do cause any harm.

If you like to smarten up the bike and make water droplets bead up try Mr Sheen or any own-brand wax furniture polish. They smell nice as well. If you leave them on and don't buff off the wax prevents oxidation as well so they are good on bare metal things like window mechanisms.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5508238, member: 9609"]is it safe on tyres ? I often get the stuff on the tyres and have never noticed any obvious reaction - but could it degrade the rubber ?. ^_^[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it you that managed to get some galactic mileage out of a Schwalbe Marathon before it finally wore through to the puncture protection layer? If so, the stuff obviously can't affect the tyre that much!

Top Bottom