Is half-link more or less durable than regular chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
More pins= more stretch. Been there, done that on a fs as mtb. They really do stretch a lot

The side plates straighten out under the strain of fixters heaving on them with all their might so they stretch. If 1/2 link chains had any advantage they would be all over industrial power transmissions. They ain't, only gullible fashion victims' bikes.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I thought I'd heard once that the advantage with half-link chains is that they bend more easily around the extremely small sprockets used on BMXs. I was in Evans at the weekend and they had a BMX wheel for sale fitted with a sprocket of just 9 teeth!

From the posts above 'bendability' would appear to be the only advantage (assuming it's true).

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Counter arguments (not from me, I'm still open but erring towards the anti camp from this thread!)

1. Claim that they are much bulkier and sturdier, pins are thicker, thus in fact less prone to stretch.

2. For same reason as above, less likely to fail.

Why is it believed they wear more quickly?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Counter arguments (not from me, I'm still open but erring towards the anti camp from this thread!)

1. Claim that they are much bulkier and sturdier, pins are thicker, thus in fact less prone to stretch.

2. For same reason as above, less likely to fail.

Why is it believed they wear more quickly?

been there, done that and they do. not for fashion but when i ran a cf fs mtb ss.

mangid

Guru
<br />Counter arguments (not from me, I'm still open but erring towards the anti camp from this thread!)<br /><br />1. Claim that they are much bulkier and sturdier, pins are thicker, thus in fact less prone to stretch.<br /><br />2. For same reason as above, less likely to fail.<br /><br />Why is it believed they wear more quickly?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not sure I understand why thicker pins would wear less, it' a material strength thing, isn't it? If anything I would expect more stretch because there are more pins, 4x0.2mm > 2x0.2mm.

--
Dan

Not sure I understand why thicker pins would wear less, it' a material strength thing, isn't it? If anything I would expect more stretch because there are more pins, 4x0.2mm > 2x0.2mm.

I don't see how you work that out. There are the same number of pins on a full chain. On a normal chain each link consists of an inner and an outer with 2 pins. Half links are shorter and have one pin, but you need twice the number for a chain.

Top Bottom