Is Innertube Sealant different to Tubeless Sealant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Out on Saturday as as I was coming back home I could feel the back of the bike wasn't right it was moving around too much. About 1/2 mile from home I stopped & found a couple of large thorns in the tyre, so pulled them out, checked & could see anymore obvious ones, gave it a quick CO2 & made it home. But by the time to kettle had boiled it was flat again, taking the tyre off I found another 5 thorns which had gone through the innertube.

So I'm thinking of trying tubeless, tyres are Schwalbe Smart Sam's & rims are Alex Rims 6061H-T6

Sorry where I am going with all this rambling is, if the sealant is the same, then why does the sealant not seal the tyre after it has escaped from the tube?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The sealant needs to be on the inside of the tyre - if it's in the tube, it won't get a proper seal on the tyre as the 'tube' will be in the way.

That's got to be a record for thorns though. :wacko:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

The sealant needs to be on the inside of the tyre - if it's in the tube, it won't get a proper seal on the tyre as the 'tube' will be in the way.

That's got to be a record for thorns though. :wacko:
Seeing the amount of sealant inside the tyre, not inside the tube where it should have been poised the question.

Looking for valves, current rims have Schrader but most of the ones I see on Fleecebay are Presta is that normal? Are there any good makes, or are they all the same?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Sorry where I am going with all this rambling is, if the sealant is the same, then why does the sealant not seal the tyre after it has escaped from the tube?

Firstly the sealant is not the same. Secondly, for tubeless you need a sealed system (pun intended). Therefore, you need tubeless rim tape to prevent air/sealant coming from the spoke holes, a tubeless valve and a great fit between rim and tyre.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most tubeless are presta - mainly as you can replace/remove the core for injecting more sealant (e.g. once a year).

I think the tube is stopping the sealant getting out into the 'tyre hole' properly

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Therefore, you need tubeless rim tape to prevent air/sealant coming from the spoke holes, a tubeless valve and a great fit between rim and tyre.
I believe apart from all the thorn holes I have those requirements :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I believe apart from all the thorn holes I have those requirements :laugh:
If you are running tubes then for sure you don't have a tubeless valve. The majority of wheels that are tubeless ready don't even have tubeless rim tape, DAMHIK. With proper tubeless sealant thorn holes should not be a problem. Good luck with your trial.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm guessing this multiple thorn invasion isn't a regular thing? It also doesn't appear to have had a huge impact on your ride.
Going tubeless seems like a hell of a faff, expense and over-reaction.
Thank you for your sweeping statement that I am overreacting, you appear to know my circumstances better than I do. Apologies that was uncalled for, you caught just after having to deal with a moronic Yank.

With regards to expense, I've gone through 3x £10 (yes they are that much now) slime filled tubes in the last 3 months. So I'm not sure that tubeless would have been more expensive, I 'think' the rims are ready apart from the valve stem which aren't particularly expensive, so it's just an option I'm considering
If you are running tubes then for sure you don't have a tubeless valve. The majority of wheels that are tubeless ready don't even have tubeless rim tape, DAMHIK. With proper tubeless sealant thorn holes should not be a problem. Good luck with your trial.
Yep, Sorry missed the bit where you put valve, the rims do appear to be taped up, unless in my naivety I'm looking at the wrong thing & it's the wrong tape. I presume (always) dangerous, that I could fit a valve & then blow up the tyre onto the rim before putting slime in, or does the seal only work once slimed, air my come out of the thorn holes, but not out of the spokes & rim edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jody

Stubborn git
I presume (always) dangerous, that I could fit a valve & then blow up the tyre onto the rim before putting slime in, or does the seal only work once slimed, air my come out of the thorn holes, but not out of the spokes & rim edge.

Are you using slime or just calling all sealant slime? Only reason I ask is my friend has had enough trouble with slime over the last few years. He swore by it but it didn't seem to stop punctures that well and made quite a mess when changing tyres. In the end he swapped to Stans

Also, I'm not sure how easy it would be to fill the tyres via the valve using slime as its fairly viscous and sticky. I use a small syringe to fill through the valve.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Are you using slime or just calling all sealant slime?
I'm using slime as a generic term, but currently I think I am using Slime tubes, although I have had tubes by other manufacturers including Halfords Bike Hut & Dr Sludge

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Is this rim tubeless as it stands, other than a valve or does it need extra tape?

screenman

Legendary Member
5 thorns? Thats more punctures than ive suffered in 3 decades!

You could soon change that around these parts, we have had miles of Hawthorne trimming going on lately, my record is 14 in one tubeless tyre, it did not stop any rides though.

Top Bottom