Is it a fitness problem or place?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gokmx

Hello everyone... I´m a mtb and city bike cyclist.
I used to ride mtb then I moved to Italy and in Italy I used to ride a city bike... I never had any problem about my fitness level.... The city I live in Italy and my previous place was at sea level.

Well, then I stop riding bicycle for about 3 years... I moved to another country, and the place where I live now is about 8.000 feets (2,450 meters) higher than the sea level. (Sometimes even walking is hard)

Well I just got a bicycle (mtb) but I noticed that I can´t ride higher than 3rd shift...

Is it because I don´t ride a bicycle for a long time or because of the altitude?

What do you recommend to solve this problem? Currently, I don´t have time for downhill or these kind of hobbies so I´m using my bicycle for commuting only.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its both, .3 years off a bike will return fitness to zero. Combine that with 8000ft altitude. that will take several weeks to adapt . Keep riding and given enough time fitness will return.

I rode at 2000 metres last week, it was slow going, with the feel of no power

Drago

Legendary Member
Physiologically speaking, that's a significant altitude. Take your time, keep at it, eat properly, and get 8 hours sleep, and it will come eventually.

Good luck.

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum.

I'm old enough to remember the Mexico Olympics - eek! The athletes had to train at altitude to adapt.

Just take it easy and soon enough you will adapt too.

trewlis

Regular
Fitness for me.

Top Bottom