Is it an age thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I may have mentioned that in another thread in the past but could be useful for newbies. I find that if I ride my bike two days running or too often in one week, my energy level goes down quickly after each subsequent ride. On the other hand, if I space them out by a few days, I feel much stronger, even after a week away from riding.
I assume that, as I get older, my body takes longer to recover and needs the extra days to re-energise. I am only 70 but obviously, can't ride like when I was much younger.

On current diet/ nutrition levels, performance tends to go down with age after 45. Seen that with colleagues, friends and myself. First indication is when climbing but not on endurance hence a lot of us go for distance at that age. The endurance too starts deteriorating after mid 50s. Recovery time also longer. No longer the eager beaver to get on the bike the next day

I do know of people that have upped diet and nutrition (more food) so they can maintain or go further.

This is anedotal but I did notice my vegans friends switching to endurance ride and move away from hilly terrain much earlier. My guess is lack of protein to maintain muscle mass.

It is joy to see people doing long runs.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
So let's just keep eatin' protein and other yummy stuff, keep peddling every time the fancy strikes us... hills if we can, flats if we can’t, and keep smilin' until we tip over one last time. At 65, I still look forward to lots of all of the above (please hold that last tippin' over.) I've already reached the point where I'm not much bothered by time/distance ratios, but I’m still havin' LOTS of fun. Let's go!
C334442A-0A0E-46E2-A2A7-B724955BB08B.jpeg

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have a couple of friends who now find they need longer recovery periods especially after big, i.e century, rides.

I'm not sure for myself at 67 I still seem OK. I've ridden 272 miles this week - Sunday 82, Monday 45, Wednesday 75, today 70 on gravel.

Tonight I'm physically tired but my legs are OK. I did slow considerably on a climb today but then Wednesday's ride at 75 miles and 7800 feet including six of Lancashire's finest climbs was tough.

I have a friend who at 71 is simply getting better and better. He is simply astonishing. TT25 in 58:10 and hoping for TT100 of 4:20 this weekend.

Seems to me it's very individual.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’ll also depend on your rides. If you are always pushing it a bit on hills etc that’ll need more recovery than at an easier pace. You just find the balance and work with that. Off bike strength work also becomes more important the older you get. That is, if you want to maintain fitness.

Also remember , recovery days are adaption days. They are when your body is getting fitter, not during the exercise.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm slightly older than you and I mix my cycling with golf, which is my main sport. When I was a competitive runner, I trained on the basis of hard day, easy day and a day off before a race. The hard days would often be double sessions.

I haven't run for years now, but I think the philosophy remains the same, particularly as the older you are the harder it is to recover from hard efforts. In your case you could certainly cycle every day, but make alternate rides recovery rides by either taking it very easy and/or sticking to shorter routes. You also need to make sure you are fuelling and hydrating properly before and after rides.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yep. Since menopause, I find although my weight hasn’t changed drastically, I seem to have more flab and less muscle. I suppose I should do some light weights/resistance work but I find anything like that boring and never stick with it.
Mrs C had the same problem. She took up some light weight training and has built muscle. Perhaps this might spur on to persist with it.

carpiste

Guru
I find that after 2 days in succession I need a day off. Every second day also works for me. I could do more consecutive days but eventually it catches up with me and I need longer to recover.
Old age is definitely getting to me but if I had a less hilly route I could do more. My options are limited there tho'.
I similarly need a rest day after 2 or 3 consecutive rides. I definitely take longer to recover but after several surgeries that set me back 4/5 years I`ll put up with the aches, pains and day off!
I think hills are the biggest issue for most aging cyclists and potential cyclists. I know last year I struggled big time on relatively gentle slopes but I found the answer.... I bought an E-bike. For me, cycling is a joy again and not just an excercise regime! I still get tired and need the odd day off but that assistance it gives has made it possible to just go out without planning a route and not getting worried about getting home!
Oh of course I am limited to around 40 miles or so but I mostly manage 25 max ^_^

Top Bottom